1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Push Beam Height

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by captshawn, Nov 17, 2015.

1. captshawn

captshawn Senior Member

Ok I have my push beam installed and the holes are just short of 17" to center. I have 1 hole below the side plates. I am having a slight issues getting plow on and off the truck at this height, but can get it done and plow sits pretty level in all positions. If I lower the beam one more hole it gets me pretty close just under 16" and plow goes on and off with no problem, but then I have 2 holes under each side plate. Still able to get 4 bolts or a total of 8 bolts in it.
    I was told that Boss does not like 2 holes below the side plates and wants a empty hole between bolt locations on the side plate. What do you guy's think would be my best position? Plow is a 8'2" VXT
    Thanks...

2. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

Whats the specs on your truck? I assume its not stock since it should be easy to obtain the height of the push beam... 16.5 is what they recommend... Im running a 2500 with a leveling kit and 33's and Im at I think 18 to the holes.. I have 1 hole below the side plates and I was strongly urged to stop there. I put two 2x4's under the end of the wings of my plow so I can get the back of the plow up some and I dont have a problem. I even tried it without the 2x4's and it still works but its very close to not being able to hit the ears of the push beam...... I guess it depends on if you plow commercially or just for your house/land. Other option is to have someone build you longer frame brackets.. I looked in my area and to have a local fab guy build all of it to the same specs he wanted almost 700 so for me having to use 2x4's ill live with that instead...

3. captshawn

captshawn Senior Member

2012 F250 with 3" lift, but have smaller 285 tires on it at the moment and all plowing is commercial..Book call for 15.5 off the ground. Basically just looking for opinions or experience on if I should run it at the just under 17" or put it 2 holes below side brackets and be closer..Have a hard time believing just adding 2" to my side plates will add much rigidity..

4. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

My paper has mine at 16.5 with heavy duty plows.. standard/heavy duty was classified under the 15.5 in.. I consider the vblades to be a heavy duty plow so thats what I went by... I actually lied just went out and verified my height and im at dead on 17 at the center of the holes... So I would try using 2x4's and see if that helps.. Also got to remember that the lower you go with the mount the more stress you add onto the plow bracket and truck frame... Just like adding leverage to a breaker bar the further you get out the easier it is to break the bolt loose/break your bar lol.. It sounds like your truck sits just about as close as mine... Im running 285/75 tires which are close to 33's... If you werent plowing commercially id say you would prob be ok with 2 holes below the side brackets but being that you could hit big obstacles it might weaken the brackets over time and could cause some major damage... Its really up to you but that my .02

5. BossEric

BossEric Member

Standard Duty and Super Duty Plows 9.2 and under 15 1/2 . 10' Plows are set at 16 1/2 . I've had to set plows around the 16'' height quite a few times. We've also welded on and extended the side plates for lifted trucks . But nowhere near $700.If it were my truck I'd set it at 16'' and just make some plates for the outside that catch the 2 lower holes on the pushbeam and 3 holes on the push plates,and use some 2'' bolts to bolt it together. Just what I'd do.

6. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

Ok well that clarifies it a bit better that might of been in my manual but missed it in the reading... The guy I talked to recommended that I do all new brackets instead of just adding to the boss mounts that way there is less welds and extra plate making the bracket bigger.. He said he would gladly go that route for me if I wanted. I like keeping my truck clean looking and factory and I saw the added on boss plate making the bracket looking cobbled together.. It might not of really but thats what I pictured in my head and wasnt fond of that... Maybe im just too picky? lol