1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pursue liability insurance or sub for now

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by havenprosnow, Nov 10, 2010.

1. havenprosnow

havenprosnow Member

I am caught at this moment between trying to find liability insurance for a dba (not the easiest thing to do) or just subbing for a commercial account this snow season. I would like to pick up some residentials to subsidize my commercial subbing but I don't want to expose myself to that liability without insurance.

Any thoughts on national/Pa insurance companies that have reasonable rates for what I am looking for?

Any thoughts and/or comments appreciated.
  2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

The company you sub for doesn't require you to carry GL insurance?
  3. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

Um, you should have insurance anyways.
  4. blue sky guy

blue sky guy Junior Member

I know a guy in Michigan who pays for basic liability at $285 a year. Just basic liability insurance. He claimed if you have a good agent they will get it for a reasonable price.
  5. Pro Lawn Care

Pro Lawn Care Member

My Business Liability from Travelers Insurance cost me $990.00 a year and thats for a $2mil. policy. I dont think that is too bad? Covers everything, my lawn care and snow. It is a little higher than last year but I just switched agents and companys.
  6. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

For your own protection you should have GL insurance regardless if contractor or sub-contractor. Not having your own insurance means you are not a sub-contractor you are an employee in the eyes of the IRS. With today's changes in the 1099 laws I want my subs to be Incorporated as well.
  7. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

Are you thinking that because you're business is a sole proprietorship operating under an assumed name or dba (doing business as) title that you cant get insurance? That is not true. I have a 1million dollar GL policy that covers me white and green. For some of the little GC and construction work I do as well as snow. Just over 800 a year for me.
  8. ajman21

ajman21 Senior Member

im doing my own thing for the first time this year and have been looking for my insurance in a new state and city just got quotes as a sole proprietor and i am getting quotes all over the spectrum. get lots of quotes! found lots of people wanting to take my hard earned cash for almost no coverage.
  9. Raymond S.

Raymond S. Senior Member

I have mine through Libert Agency Underwriters (Liberty Mutual). Not sure of the phone # right off hand but you should be able to look it up online. They're a national company. I have my liability, auto, and equipment through them. You shouldn't have a problem getting insurance as a DBA. $2million policy will probably run you +\-$500 per year.
  10. palmtree907

palmtree907 Member

state farm $1mil GL $600/ yr and full coverage on vehicle is $100/mo (includes plow).
  11. havenprosnow

havenprosnow Member

Still waiting on my insurance agent to quote me (I started this thread over 2 weeks ago). I've been quoted as high as $3900 for Gen Liability. Finally got a quote of $1200. Here's the agents name if anyone needs it. Don't know him from Adam but seems nice.

Edmond Dever
    Sales Representative
    Sassa & Concannon Insurance Agency
    PO Box 187
    227 Chester Pike
    Norwood, PA 19074
    Office 610-583-3523
  12. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

13. havenprosnow

havenprosnow Member

Thank you!:waving:
  14. zchip1979

zchip1979 Junior Member

I have been dealing with Sassa and concannon for years, the company is Donegal ins. they treated me very well... good luck
  15. To the OP, just get the GI and Comm auto in your personal name. Now this provided your truck etc are registered/titled under your personal name not a business name. You can call yourself what ever you want as far as a DBA you use with you as far as advertising/customers(just make sure the customers pay ya in your name not the DBA.)
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2010