1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Purple salt?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by dlcs, Jan 26, 2010.

1. dlcs

dlcs 2000 Club Member

Where does the purple salt come from, is this from Cargil? I see a guy using it around my area, never seen purple dyed salt before.
  2. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

It is rock salt treated with a form of beet juice by central salt.
  3. mws399LAWN

mws399LAWN Member

The central rep told me it was snow slicer treated salt, says its the only manufactured liquid de icer, the others are just bye products, hes claims is good stuff.
  4. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

it is very good
  5. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

We get stuff here that's green. I don't know what it is but its great. It can literally get wet and it stays soft. It can sit in the hopper for a couple weeks and never harden up.
  6. mws399LAWN

mws399LAWN Member

is that clear lane with corrosin inhibator, from cargaill
  7. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

I am sure it is. I agree, very rarely does it harden.
  8. mypolaris1

mypolaris1 Member

I could have sworn whe I read this thread a week ago there was a rep from whoever makes this talking it up. Maybe a different thread. Anybody got contact info?
  9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Another victim of the evil.........

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Funny thread I went to a college in Central NY that was very into the school colors and traditions and they had purple salt, wasn't treated just dyed but they said they bought it because it helped them reduce the amount of salt they put down because they could see it better.

Still funny to see purple salt.
  11. creativedesigns

creativedesigns PlowSite.com Addict

Yea, I heard the Smurfs use it alot. :bluebounc
  12. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Currently Central's "Snow Slicer" is purple. It used to be green, but they did not want it to get confused with Cargill's "Clearlane", so they changed dyes. Clearlane is simply a mag-treated product. Slicer is treated with Caliber M2000, which is a "complex corn based carbohydrate" (read: distiller's sugar, pretty much). Have heard great things about Slicer, and my customers seem to be happy with it.

13. rcpd34

rcpd34 Senior Member
    from MD

I like the colored stuff. Makes it easy to see where you've salted.
  14. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

Magnesium Treated from Conserv. It is all we use now. Its call Snow Slicer.
  15. Westhardt Corp.

16. SteveR

SteveR Senior Member

Where would one get this snow slicer??? How is the price compared to straight salt??
  17. DRIFTER92

DRIFTER92 Senior Member

All i can think is purple brine :D how cool would that be? Right now im still getting the 50% dirt that came in my last pallet load of rock salt from lowes. I wont buy anything but solar salt in the future if i dont have access to bulk.
  18. Westhardt Corp.

Slicer is between 30-40% higher than straight bulk, depending on where you get it. To play devil's advocate, Magic's website says that their product should cost 30-40% higher than rock, but from what I've seen it's more like 200+%--it's all in what someone can get for it. But I can say with certainty the Slicer price difference is accurate.

As far as where it is available in NH, I don't know but I can do some digging and let you know.

19. Westhardt Corp.

Odd that you had that problem with bagged material. Whose was it? Typically, bagged rock is cleaner than bulk, due to less handling.

20. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Ooo purle salt, pretty!