1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

purple dodge project

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by dodgegmc1213, Aug 9, 2012.

1. dodgegmc1213

dodgegmc1213 PlowSite.com Addict

was trying to sell my 1st truck (2004 dodge ram 2500) wasnt getting any bites on it so i decided to keep it and make it the way i wanted to since i bought it last year. so thought id share it with everyone. so far had the driver side cab corner and rocker panel replaced and had bedliner sprayed on the inside of the doors, rockers, down the side of the truck and the back of the cab from the window down. then i plan on cleaning and undercoating the frame, put an aluminum flatbed on, repaint the truck and also put the bedliner stuff on the front and rear bumpers then some odds and ends.

IMG-20110907-00122.jpg

IMG-20110907-00121.jpg

2012-07-31 15.05.15.jpg

2012-07-31 15.05.33.jpg

2012-07-31 15.04.59.jpg

2. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

Did you personally spray the liner? If so what brand? Looks like it came out very well!

3. dodgegmc1213

thanks and no i did not do it had the body shop do it when then replaced the cab corner. i figured let them do it they know how i wasnt gonna try and mess it up

4. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Nice job,

Got another suggestion for you.

Get a pump sprayer and fill it with rust converter. Either drill holes, or pull the OE body plugs, and spray the inside of the body cavities with it like no tomorrow.

By the next day, any residual rust "inside" will convert back to ferrous oxide and minimize future rusting.

I do my truck once every other year....

5. dodgegmc1213

i did tell the body guy to spray the inside after he cut the cab corner and rocker out. im guessing he sprayed it with bedliner i dont know. thanks for the info ima have to look into doin that.

6. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

I kind of went crazy and did the entire truck's frame and body underneath.. Well worth it in the end...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. dodgegmc1213

looks great. is that rust-oleum rusty primer? i have to get my truck looked at for sandblasting the whole chassis front to back. then use that rusty primer them some rust-oleum professional undercoating and maybe top it off with some gloss black paint.

8. blazer_kid

blazer_kid Member

sub'd to see how it turns out

9. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I think you missed a spot ! LOL Looks good, so what other plans do you have ?

10. dodgegmc1213

sorry maverjohn, you referring to me or dogplow dodge's pics? lol :confused:

11. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

That's a great idea. I've had my bed done three times now because of rust.....it would help if the body shop would've done it right the first time. Two questions, what brand of rust converter works the best? How expensive is it?

12. maverjohn

maverjohn Senior Member

I was refering to dogplow dodge on the pics, Whats your future plans for your truck ?

13. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

I don't know which one works best, as I've only used this:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...sg=AFQjCNEYj3n0qMIBFrc-UAQpyRvD8enJgA&cad=rja

It's Phosphoric Acid, and can be very caustic. You need to protect yourself using it, with goggles, respirator and skin protection. It works great and this thread explains it all,

http://www.dieseltruckresource.com/dev/attempting-save-dodge-t295193.html and will show more detail of what I did. If you page through it you'll see my toyota pickup done as well..

I've used it for countless projects since, as it's such a good product and produces such great results. I've taken rusty tools, left them in a solution of the product overnight, and the next day, the rust is forever gone. It does not harm the metal itself, but only eats / converts rust.

BTW,

I'm accidentally hijacking this thread, so if anyone has any other thoughts about my truck, PM me.... Feeling guilty about what just happened to this thread, as you guys are focusing on my truck, when the Purple Dodge project was what it was .... and should be all about.

Sorry, Dodgegmc1213.... it's not what I intended to happen. How about posting more pix and information on your transformation of your purple snow eater...??

Thanks !

T.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  14. dodgegmc1213

no need to be sorry thank you tho but im also interested in what your doing. who knows maybe i can hijack some of your ideas onto my truck lol. i was thinking of putting that name on a bug sheild. it still gonna be a few days before i can get it blasted. im trying to get the a/c fixed right now cuz its freaking here in ny. plus working for my dad in a sealcoat business most of my time revolves around that so i only have rainy days to work on the truck

15. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Everything you should need is in that thread I posted above.

The PA works great if left overnight in a wet state. By morning, it's dissolved the rust, converted it to iron oxide, and left a "film" on there, which can be simply washed down to complete the neutralization process. Air exposure, over time, neutralizes the PA all by itself, but then the coating left behind should be cleaned if being painted. If it's left inside a body cavity of the truck, you can just move on to something else to do, as the film protects against further rust ..... for a while.... although I'm not sure just how long.... maybe a year or more depending on environmental conditions.

Keep posting pix of the work.

16. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

We did a bunch of trucks with "Rust Check" spray liner, turned out awesome and very durable!

17. dodgegmc1213

just bought a can of Rust Converter, Rubberized Rust Encapsulator Undercoating, and Pre Painting Prep from eastwood. figured what the hell give it a try and see what happens

18. DareDog

DareDog PlowSite.com Addict

Did that 2 months ago on the Chevy truck didn't want to look like all other ones i see with rusted out rockers. dad filled one side full of used motor oil drove it around then pumped it back out. It is very messy. few days later it was still leaking out. now just got to get stocked back up on oil to do the other side.

19. dodgegmc1213

havent done to much with the truck yet. waitin to get it to my mechanic to change a few seals on the tranny. but today i did install a k&n air intake kit and also installed some CCFL Halo LED Projector Headlights.

2012-08-28 15.15.18.jpg

2012-08-28 15.15.53.jpg

20. oldbluehairhemi

oldbluehairhemi Senior Member

Did you notice any difference with the intake? been thinking about getting one for a while but don't wanna waste my money.