1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Purging air from Fisher insta-act

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by rwgagnon, Jan 31, 2011.

1. rwgagnon

rwgagnon Junior Member

Hi,
    Replaced the leaking reservoir on my 4 year old Fisher Minute Mount 2 hydraulic unit a couple of weeks ago. I lost about a 1 and 1/2 quarts of fluid in the process, and did find a small amount of sludge on the drain plug, which I cleaned. Filter and pickup tube looked good. Put it back together and topped off the fluid. I tried to purge the air by just running it up and down and side to side, holding at the end of the travel a few times. However, now the response to the joystick control is sluggish and jerky, where it used to be quick and tight before. I think there probably is still air in the system, but cannot find the procedure to purge it out. I have read Fishers flushing instructions, but it is too damn cold to do that whole process right now. Any advise would be appreciated.

2. snowman123

snowman123 Senior Member

If it chatters when it moves right or left you are more than likely low on fluid.

3. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Just use it, it will eventually bleed. Some guys position the truck so they can get the blade pointed down. Like with the tires on parking stops, or on a sidewalk. That will help bleed the angle rams more effectively, quickly.

4. MrPLow2011

MrPLow2011 Senior Member
    from Boston

Has a vent on tank. It should bleed out

5. smelb1

smelb1 Junior Member

yeah i am having the same problem with my plow. The guy that had it before me put ATF in it so i changed it to the right fluid. I drained the lines completely and now i can grab on the plow when it is up and move the angle rams in about 2 inches or so.

6. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

You need to let it sit for a while before you running it again,you can run it,you won't hurt it it will just take longer to bleed,let it sit for a bit,if you take the fill plug off and look inside you'll see thousands of air bubbles at the top of the resivoir,they need to settle or nothing is going to happen,I've installed brand new plows that have taken upwards of an hour to get right and then i've seen others take 2 minutes,be patient,you'll get it

7. smelb1

smelb1 Junior Member

thanks for the reply. hopefully that will fix one of my problems. my other problem is with lifting. goes up half way and then struggles the rest of the way. could it be the solenoid?

8. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Not the solenoid,if it worked before this then it's still air in the system or your still low on fluid