1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Big Time Plow, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Big Time Plow

Big Time Plow Junior Member

need to know if i should get a v plow or straight plow is it cost effective and poly or steel which is best ,first year plowing need some input
  2. easthavenplower

easthavenplower Senior Member

of truck is the plow going on what kind of acounts do you have residential or commercial?
  3. Big Time Plow

dodge ram 2500 hd quad cab 4x4 both Res. & Com.

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

ken p
    just installed v-plows on all three of his dodge trucks
  5. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

poly is a waste of money a v plow to you get a lot of heavy wet deep snow thats were i see them get a lot of use then again i punch through driveway with 2ft + snow i had now problem im sure if it was wet i would have :alien:
  6. Big Time Plow

well steel it is then with a v plow
  7. Bossplower

Bossplower Member

Boss V 9'2"

I just got a Boss V Poly today Flemming's sells (hundreds )every yr. and they don't have many problems with them . I've used Boss V for 15yrs. An 8'2" would be great for res.- com. lots.
    I vote for the Boss V . and they come in poly. CALL Jim and ask
    before you decide 1-888-833-7569, 1-888 vee plow
    Jim Flemming

8. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

You sure you have enough business to pay off a brand neew Dodge, A new V-plow, and a new v-box. I hate seeing people go under from not having the business to support their equipment.
  9. Big Time Plow

thanks lawn kid do have the work i hope
  10. Sidebuz

Sidebuz Member

"poly is a waste of money"- Plowman45

I strongly disagree with this statement. I have run poly since day 1. Snow never sticks, never have to touch up nicks w/paint, and the snow just flies off the plow when it is a poly. Plowed with another guy who had a steel blade once. Snow never rolled off good and looked terrible from the rust on it.

Go with a poly Vee... smile all winter long from your good decision... and laugh all the way to the bank with your money you makepayup !! Good luck!!
  11. BOSS 444

BOSS 444 Member
    from In.

'poly is a waste of money'......?????

I completely disagree w/ this statement. I also do not wish to start any arguements, so I'll just state my expirience.

We currently run two boss plows, a 9' steel-v, & a 8' poly-v.
    We also use an older meyer c-8, & western 7.5. Both steel.

I will never not own a v-plow. I am actually looking to find 'new' homes for the old strait plows. I will also never buy another steel plow. They obviously work fine, but w/o a doubt 'hold' more frozen snow than the poly does.

Bottom line, buy whatever fits your needs,service & budget. Poly-V is the most expensive, it is also the best. IMHO

Boss 444
  12. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

"I will never not own a v-plow."

BOSS did you mean you will never own another V?? you have two now right? Just confussing. Why so againist the V plow??

After all the consdieration I put into buying a new plow for my 2003 F-450 Poly never entered the conversation with the dealer HHHMMM I am wondering why? At the time price was not the issue, the right/best plow for my application was my main concern. I alway step up to the plate if more money buys me a better piece of equipment. Like paying the upcharge for th Honda engine on my V box after nearly eveyone here said get the Honda. BTW went with the Western 8.5 V Steel. Would have strongly considered Ploy had it been discussed at the time.

Now from my experience over the past three years... I have been running a Western 8'Pro steel plow. Have not really notice the snow sticking but we have not really had much wet snow. After thinking about it I would have to guess that wet snow will stick to the steel more than the Ploy due to the temps difference. Kinda like put your wet tounge on metal, than on plastic... we all know what will happen.
  13. Big Time Plow

I got it

Just got the boss 8' poly v plow thanks for all the input and by the way it looks great on my 2004 ram 2500 quad cab 4x4 5.7 He mi i got a great deal in indiana on my truck if anyone is lookin and the plow to but got that else where can you beleive how much those dealers wanted i think they where going to make up the loss on the truck with the plow.
  14. BOSS 444

BOSS 444 Member
    from In.

No...I meant just what I wrote:

I will never NOT have a v- plow.....That is why I now have two, and trying to 're-place' the old strait plow w/ v's also.

So that I am clear.....'I am in NO way against a v-plow'. This must not have been conveyed clearly in writing.

All future plow purchases will be "v's"......They will also be poly. It seems that in northeast IN. we never get any light fluffy snow anymore, always wet, heavy snow. This is when the poly really shows it stuff.

Sorry for being confusing.

I am the exact same way about buying equipment. I always spend the extra, if it is worth the extra. Even have used the 'stepping up to the plate' quote to my wife. LOL.

The reason your western dealer did not bring it up, is they only offer v-plows in steel. But don't fret about it, I would have a v steel, before I would have a strait poly. But.....if I could have both, and w/ BOSS I can, than that would be my choice. I have been very satisfied. I hope I cleared up any misunderstandings.

Big Time Plow,

You will like your purchase..."big time"....lol.

Boss 444
  15. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

Post some pics bud :D
  16. rnblase

rnblase Senior Member

17. imasnowpro

imasnowpro Member

V-blades are great money makers. Bought 3 at an auction one day for $600. Came back and sold them to my old landlord for $1500 that same afternoon. I love V-blades!