1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Purchasing New Equipment

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by plowguy44, Feb 6, 2012.

1. plowguy44

plowguy44 Junior Member

Anyone think this winter is going to affect on what snow equipment you buy for next year? I personally think it will affect the purchasing of landscaping equipment for this spring more than the snow equipment for next fall.

Or I could be wrong.. Perhaps some guys have more money with the shortage of snow and plan on purchasing more equipment..

Just wanted to get your guys thoughts...
  2. jschmitz93

jschmitz93 Member

I have already noticed some pretty sweet deals popping up and I think that the guys who can afford to buy and sit on these until the start of next season will be able to make some pretty good money. Of course my wife informed me that I am not one of those guys. Bummer
  3. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

I know for me I base future year expenditures on prior years profits. As of now i will have no profit and a loss of about $5000 for this snow season. The good news I won;t have to buy chemical for next season, or even change the fluid in the pumps!
  4. 94gt331

94gt331 Senior Member
    from usa

we had a bad winter here so far and the plowing imcome covers some of the bills but if it snows 5 or 6 times over 2 inchs i usually have enough extra cash to buy a new mower or 2 for the spring season. Unfortunately this spring i will have to do more landscaping to make these extra purchases.:cry:
  5. downtoearthnh

downtoearthnh Senior Member

Our 2011 landscaping season was strong, not so the winter (5 events to date) but needed to rotate out a 10 yr. old truck, so I ordered a G4 Fuso for mowing and next years plowing. Time will tell whether that was a smart move, but doing nothing is a poor option!
  6. Mysticlandscape

Mysticlandscape Senior Member

My plans to buy another truck have been delayed by a few months as of right now.... still got time though..... a few smaller storms would put me back on track.
  7. MHI Chris

MHI Chris Junior Member
    from Iowa

Snow Way

I got a Snow Way 29r Last year. What are the thoughts on this?
    I have always had Western & Curtis.
    This unit looks like it might be considered Homeowner Spec.

8. RepoMan1968

RepoMan1968 Senior Member

Boss has a new well kept secret coming out this fall . Im due and IN Thumbs Up
  9. V_Scapes

V_Scapes Senior Member

I probably wont be buying as much new landscape equipment as i wanted to this spring, unlike last year i went and bought whatever i wanted with all the extra cash. Going to have to be smarter about spending this spring.
  10. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I know we will be restructuring a good bit of our snow work for next year. We had picked up a rather large account for this season, utilizing probably 1/3 our fleet, it was our first hourly account....isn't going well (due to lack of snow in part). Needless to say unless they go for some contract/bid amendments (only a 1 season, not breaking our word) we won't be doing it again. So I have a good bit of sales ahead of me without adding to the fleet size. If it goes as planned next season will be a GOOD year. Already looking forward to it, pretty sad considering this season isn't over yet, but looking at the 14 day, and the way this seasons gone so far, I don't have high hopes for a turn around.
  11. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I spent 30k on a newer truck in oct :confused: I'm circling the wagons and hunkering down. With the season were having I'm actually going to have to work more this year, no goofing off like last year. Unless we finish strong I'm going into miser mode. Next is to tell my wife to work more:help:
  12. 60Grit

60Grit Senior Member

leigh, sounds like we did the same thing in the last year. New truck in oct, didn't work as much as I should've over the summer. Tellin the wife to help more. I've just been using all the down time to research and educate myself further on my target market area. Have to make sure next year is a better one.
  13. IDST

IDST Senior Member

you too aye.. sounds like my wife
  14. Salty dog

Salty dog Member

like i been saying for 25+ yrs , you better be viewing snowplowing revenues over a long period of time . whether 5 , 10 , or more years

think of the expense we make , trucks/spreaders/insurance/plows/ ETC !

gotta take the good times with the bad , good mix of seasonal + per storm/push etc.

p.s. leigh , include me as your helper this year ( gonna need it ) :help:
  15. BC Handyman

BC Handyman PlowSite.com Addict

It is not going to affect me, as I just bought a new truck,new snow & landscape equitment, before the start of this terrible lack of snow. It will affect me paying off my skid & truck quickly though. I might buy something small like a push mower, walk behind spreader ect.
  16. plowguy44

plowguy44 Junior Member

Thanks for the feed back guys... Anyone else?
  17. Red02F250

Red02F250 Senior Member

After sinking a bit into repairs and equipment with no return on the investment, I'll be more cautious this coming year for sure. Normally I can throw down cash, but that's not going to be the case after this season.

Alright... I'll bite. Any clues? :confused:
    If its something that I can't pass up, it may justify financing.
  18. siteworkplus

siteworkplus Senior Member
    from mass

Just leased a 2012 caddy CTS !

If i'm going to the poor house I wanna go in style!

Told the wife last night at dinner--What a buzz kill

WTF Burn the boats and fight for your life