1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Purchasing new 2015 2500HD need input

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by M&M, Feb 14, 2015.

1. M&M

M&M Senior Member

So I'm biting the bullet and buying a new truck. After some research, it didn't make sense to buy a 3 year old $35k truck. It also doesn't seem to make sense to buy a 6 year old $25k truck. So I'm currently leaning towards a new 2015 $45k truck.

And this is coming from a guy who has been running an '02 with just under 200k miles on it purchased for $11k in '08.

Part of the reason is that I like the new exterior styling and interior A LOT better than all the other year trucks.

Any input on that thought process is appreciated.

Now on to the main question. I'm looking at a 4x4 gasser double cab short box XLT. I know for a fact I want the bucket seats with the nice center console. That puts me into an option package that includes a bunch of stuff but I'm not 100% sure what is included. It's kind of tough to figure out through the chevy build website.

What else do I want/need that I don't know I want/need yet? Remember my current truck was the top of line 13 years ago but it still came with a tape deck so really I don't know what is out there for options.

This will be a driveway plow truck and haul a trailer in the summer for my hardscape work.

2. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Of course the usual stuff like snow plow prep.
    Driver 10-way power seat adjuster
    Dual-zone climate control on Crew Cab™ and Double Cab models
    Remote vehicle starter system
    Chevrolet MyLink®1 8" diagonal display audio system on Crew Cab and Double Cab models
    Manual tilt and telescoping steering column
    Rear Vision Camera
    Rear-window defogger
    110V AC power outlet
    On LT without Z71 Off-Road Package, this package includes front fog lamps.
    Bluetooth radio
    Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
    Engine Block Heater
    Trailering Equipment
    Outside heated power-adjustable vertical camper mirrors
    Manual Tilt-Wheel™ and telescoping steering column

Well that is a start.

3. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

I hope that 45k includes a plow. I bought a 2015 f-350xl all basic (as i wanted) this year with a 9.2 boss dxt all for just over 35k

4. M&M

M&M Senior Member

It does not include a plow. Not sure what I'm going to do for a plow. I have 65 driveways I plow currently. My goal is to get 20 more and split the route between 2 trucks. Therefore I will need a new plow. If that doesn't happen, I will probably put plow side mount and wiring on the new truck and use the new as a back up and run the old one till she totally dies. A page out of Grandview's book.

I can go with a basic truck for less than $35k. It's just not what I want. This will be my daily driver and I will keep this new truck for a dozen years at least. So for an extra $1k a year I'm going to get what I want.

5. M&M

M&M Senior Member

Are camper mirrors too big for driveway plowing? I find my current regular mirrors to be suitable and they don't seem to get in the way. Not sure if the bigger mirrors will be a pain.

6. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

My advice, and not meant to start a fight....wait a year, and buy an aluminum F350. Ford lets you custom build a truck in a way GM or RAM just do not. The F350 gasser with 4:30 gears is a beast.
    Carry a fully loaded 1.8 yard polycaster and a 9.6 Fisher with ease. And move snow like that, easily.
    To get the center console, you need the xlt at least, or a lariat on up. You can order what you really want, plow and all- at Graponne, and be out the door for around $42,000

7. snowplower1

agreed, my 350 is a tank. just whatever you buy put new tires on. the factory tires i have lasted less than 4 months...

i understand why you would get the fully loaded, personally didnt want it.

buswell, do you think there will be much issues with the body going to an aluminum body?

8. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

9. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Buy a Ford that will solve all of your problems. (rolling eyes)

10. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

He said he is buying a Chevy. He asked for opinions on ordering it, not opinions on which brand is better. Or did I read it wrong. It seems to me all of the big 3 are plenty capable. He is plowing a 200k mile chevy, as am I, so why switch brands when he has something that works for him. Anyways, in my opinion, get as many options that are in your budget, we live in these trucks when it snows, and the technology today is simply amazing. Best of luck to you in the process.

11. snowplower1

get what you have had good luck with. ive had bad luck with chevy so im trying out ford with my plow truck.

now as for that video the last time i checked, i dont go rock climbing with my truck, so i dont think that would have much affect considering i dont go over huge rocks or that crap. however i do know my truck does a heck of a job pushing and pulling and thats what you should be focusing on, whether the truck will be suited well for what you do

12. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

13. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

When did GM start offering XLT?

Guys, he wants a Chevy, let him have answers to the question. Next you'll be trying to switch his plow brand to Ur's.

14. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

I hate to break the bad news but Chevy will NOT allow the plow package with the LTZ model. That's why I had to settle for a '15 LT with the Z71 and the Plow package.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2015
  15. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

There is no XLT on GM models.

16. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I know, right? You a dodge guy, me a ford guy and the Chevy guys don't know their trim levels...,,wtf

17. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

My bad. I know it is LTZ. Helps if I proofread before I post.

18. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Nope! I have had great luck with Chevy trucks for 40+ years. I have one
    Ford truck that has cost me much more money in repairs than any Chevy I have ever owned. Ford and Dodge make good trucks from what I have read here. I just put the video for a little levity. I'll just stick with what I know.

19. Rick547

Rick547 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Just went online and it will selected the LTZ option and the snow prep. It excepted it as being available.

20. JoeG3

JoeG3 Senior Member

Figures. Got mine back in September and Chevy told me they weren't making the LTZ with the prep package.