1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

purchasing a snow melting system

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by csl, Jan 13, 2011.

1. csl

csl Junior Member

so we do a lot of snow hauling this time of year, as many parking lots are not well designed. it pays well, but most turn around time with the dump is about 30-40 minutes, and i would like to quicken the process. so i have been looking at a snow melting machine, and would be the first in our area to have one. i have looked at most of the major brands, but cant really find numbers on pricing, and it looks like they burn up to 100 gallons an hour of fuel. damn. does anyone on here currently use one, or has in the past? are the economical? and when the claim they can melt 100 tons of snow per hour, what does that equate to in size? i know it depends on snow type, but any help is appreciated. thanks
  2. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

For a wetter snow you are about 500lbs per yard. Ice is closer to 1400lbs So assuming you are picking up the packed pile that has been sitting around for a little while I would average 700lbs per yard. Can't offer any advice on the melter since I have no experience. It does seem to be widely known though that the advertised numbers are not quite real world numbers. I recently heard that 75-100 yards an hour is more realistic.
  3. csl

csl Junior Member

yeah, doing more research, they claim 100 yards of snow melt per hour. thats why i want to get a real world answer. these machines look like they are a hell of a lot of money,