1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Purchasing a New truck Please help with my Plow Migration

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Bowlerdude, Feb 21, 2012.

1. Bowlerdude

Bowlerdude Junior Member

I currently have a 2004 Chevy 2500 HD with an Ultramount 7 1/2 Poly Pro Plow (The plow was bought new in October 2004).

I'm going to get a New Truck, Probably a brand new 2012 Ford SD 250. I know I have to get new receivers for the Ford. What do I have to do with my Isolation module to get it to work with the Ford SuperDuty.

I've had it up to my neck with my Chevy. I do little plowing, or driving for that matter. My Chevy has less than 55,000 miles. Over the last 2 years, I've spent thousands on repairs for the POS CHEVY.

Any help with the migration to a new truck with the same plow would be helpful.

Secondarily, I have a small issue with the Plow. When the Plow is in the lifted position. It will drop over time, so when transporting it I have to re-lift the Plow every 10 minutes or so. I noticed a small amount of fluid on the Stainless Ram on the Lift arm. How would I fix this?

Thanks for the help in advance,
    John

Last edited: Feb 21, 2012
  2. Kopper10

Kopper10 Sponsor

Hi John,

I think it would be recommended that you get a new 3-port module (p/n 29070-1) assuming you currently have a 4-port. You would also need harness p/n 29049.

Also, based on your description I think you may want to look at your 2-way valve with regards to the plow drifting lower. Hope that helps. Take care.

Jeff

3. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

runs and hides

4. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yes, you would need a different mount. You should save receivers that stick in the mount, because they are the same on any truck, cost about $120 each, and don't come with the new mount. Jeff is correct, a plow bought in 2004 should have been the 4-port isolation module, and the 03-06 chevy used the green label one, which would be wrong for the Ford. The part numbers he lists should be correct for a new Ford, and they should add up to about $300.
    He's also probably right about the 2-way cartridge causing the drifting down. could be stuck open a bit.

5. Tony350

Tony350 Senior Member

If you have fluid leaking from the ram you probably need a new seal on the lift ram.

6. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yes, but that wouldn't be the cause of it drifting down.... unless he has to add fluid every 10 minutes! :)

7. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

If you have lots of money to spend and want the newest / latest then get the three port isolation module but your old four port would work fine. The only real difference between three and four port is the cables between the module and headlights. The three port has one Y shaped cable with a long leg for the far headlight and a short leg for the nearest headlight. The four port has one long and one short cable which can be interchanged to get the signals to flash on the right side. Three ports have a config plug to switch the signals. You can still get the correct headlight harness for your four port module and that is all you would need. There is the issue of the label colour but that really only deals with the type of daytime running lights you have. In some places highway services might make a fuss but most places it doesn't matter any more than your license plate light.

As for the plow dropping, I agree with the others. There is a check valve inside the S1 that holds the blade up. To correct it just replace the cartraige. It's the valve closest to the front of the plow SV08-2004. The bit of fluid on the lift ram is probably not responsible unless it is leaking a lot. But if you want to correct that then you need what they call the gland nut seal kit. You can also buy the complete gland nut with seal, which is much faster and easier to change. Replacing just the seal can be a struggle for some.

8. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

hmmm. Interesting. I guess we never actually tried the 27780 module on a truck with H13 lights, so I guess I can't argue with you. What are you saying exactly that it does on those vehicles?

9. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

I can't say exactly what will happen if you use a green module on a white recommended vehicle or visa versa. All I can tell you is what I read and was told on course. They said that the headlights and signals will work like normal but the DRL system will not. Understand that there are two DRL systems. One has dedicated bulbs that come on for DRL (daytime running lights) and the other system just puts the two low beams in series so they are on but not full brightness. Worst case scenario is that you will have to turn your lights on with the switch every time you drive the truck (if the local laws require, and aggressively enforce, the DRL requirement). Here where I live there are still lots of pre DRL generation vehicles on the road so highway services (Dep. of transport here) can't be bothered with it. I have never heard of a safety check ticketing anyone for not having them working.

10. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

ok thanks. we'll have to give it a try next time that situation comes up.

11. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

and right, that wouldn't be a problem here either.

12. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Personally I would sell that plow and buy a new one for the new truck. The cost involved with a new mount, harness etc... Can get expensive, If you are planning on keeping the truck a long time a plow that is the same age as the truck would be nice in my mind. Just a thought

13. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

Ford gives a 1500 credit for new plow install, I am debating buying a vplow for my 2011.

Sell you old plow and mount for 1500-1900 depending on where you are, 1500 ford credit and 1500 out of pocket andyou have a new plow, new pump, new everything.

mount and wiring for your New Ford is gonna cost 1k to retro fit your old system. 1400 installed at a western dealer. plus fixing your old pump(needs parts ) to stop dropping.

I already spent the 1400 on the mount and wiring, and I am going to buy a new plow to get the credit.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  14. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

get a chevy. itl last longer.

get a fisher xls. more efficient than the v plow design.

15. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

Chevy = junk

they are fine for year or so then they disintegrate under work conditions.

I am a dodge guy now driving a ford, because they are built stronger and better.

16. 01PStroke

01PStroke Senior Member

Don't mean to hijack, but I'm actually thinking about going the opposite route. I have a 02 F250 7.3, and I'm looking at a ultramount pro 7/6.. guy that owns it now has it on a 06 f250. I know the mounts will have to be replaced, but what about the wiring harness? Do I need to replace it or can it work?

17. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

If the lights are different on the two trucks the light harness will be different. The 06 is probably H13 lights, but could have 2B sealed beams. Your 02 could have 2B sealed beams or HB5 halogen headlights. So they COULD be the same, but chances are they are not.
    If they aren't the same, the parts needed would depend on if it has relay wiring or isolation module. If his 06 is H13 it would have to be isolation.

18. 01PStroke

01PStroke Senior Member

Good to know! I will check this out for sure... Thanks!

19. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

no problem!