1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

purchasing a new truck, need help!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rampking, Jun 4, 2012.

1. rampking

rampking Junior Member

Hey,

I own a small Snow Clearing/Landscaping business on the side of my full time employment. I have a Cat 420 Backhoe with a 10 ft angle blade i use for snow clearing in the winter and I had just a 1/2 ton chev I used to hook up a trailer hitch salter. I am purcahsing a new 3/4 ton this month and would like to know what would be the best setup for a 8 ft boss straight blade, along with a salter to put in the bed? As well will this be legal to do in reagrads of weights, i see them around town but I know alot of guys dont care, I however do.

As well if i buy a truck without a plow prep kit installed is this a big deal?

I am in between the chev/GM 2500 gas, or the dodge 2500 gas. Both need to be 4 door, short box.

Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Rampking

2. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

What do you mean by new , brand new or new to you?

3. rampking

rampking Junior Member

Well new to me, it will be fairly new though, the ones i am looking at are 2009 and up. My limit is $30, 000. I am targeting a 3/4 ton quad cab (Gas) as I have a family with two children which it will be used to haul them around as well.

Who is running a quad cab with a blade and slip in salter on the back legally?? Whats your setup???

Rampking

4. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

I have a 09 regular cab 3500 Duramax SRW with a 8.5 X-treme vee and love it.Take your time and get what you want you should get something very nice for $30K.

5. rampking

rampking Junior Member

I am actually having a really hard time finding what I need. The more I read and research I feel a 3500 would better suit my needs. but finding one for 30 g or less is becoming quite the task. If you know of one in your area please post!

Thanks
    Ramping

6. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Can you buy one from the U.S. and bring it up to Canada?

7. rampking

rampking Junior Member

Yes absolutely!! I would prefer something not to far south but for the right deal certainly.

Rampking

8. dcwn.45

dcwn.45 Member

FWIW, i bought a new 2012 Ram 2500 crew cab shortbed, last Nov.
    I got the snowplow prep, and it is a larger alternator, thats all.
    Nice to have, but probably easy enough to add if you find the right truck and thats the only thing missing.

9. thelettuceman

thelettuceman PlowSite.com Addict

I believe spring rates are different in addition to the alternator. Sometimes "heavy duty cooling" for the engine and a transmission cooler are also added. Let me know if I am correct or not. Thank You / Rick

10. dcwn.45

dcwn.45 Member

Well, the upcharge was $85, if I remember correctly.
    They told me that it was just the bigger alternator, and that everything else was already up to the task of plowing.
    I run an 8' western pro plow, and even with no ballast it handles fine for transport [I do run ballast when plowing]
    It is also a daily driver/work truck for me and I wouldn't want or need heavier springs [though I am considering a 1-2" spacer lift to level the front and give me a bit more room to run tire chains when hunting in the back country]
    I will talk to the shop that installed my plow first to make sure it doesnt cause trouble for my plow.

11. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Keep in mind the GVW of the "older" trucks was less, meaning my '99 3500 srw, was 9200. Now a 2500hd is 9200, and tge truck it self is lighter I would think based on the sheet metal used throughout being paper thin.
    In 09, plow prep consisted of skid plates, bigger alternator maybe heavier front springs. My truck doesn't have it but I fought with the dealer to make sure factory warranty would still be covered, BUT truck has towing &, off road pkg, so between the two only thing missing was larger alt, which hasn't been a problem. All the old aux cooling is now standard equipment.

12. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

not the brands you are looking for but it will give you an idea of what a salter will look like [​IMG] the salter it self is under 700lbs an can be put on and off with just 2 guys then load it till you feel safe. as for plowprep you want that as it gives you the higher spring rating on your door witch if you are worried about over loading the rear its a lot easyer to over load a non plow prep front end rating. and as for plow size most guys prefer 8.5 on a 4 door truck as when you turn it will cover a little better.

13. rampking

rampking Junior Member

Fatheadon1,
    Is that truck with the salter full over weight? This is the exact setup I need....I'd buy a Ford no problem if it suited my needs, I am not brand loyal. I just want a truck that can do it all so to speak and be legal. Whatever it is their wont be much left of it after 5 yrs if I am lucky.

Thanks again!

14. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

To be dead honest im not 100% sure if its legal or not as my salt pile is in the lot I salt so it never leaves the lot loaded to be scaled. With that said I'd guess it's over legal limit for that truck 05 f250 by 1000lbs give or take. But if you are buying a gas motor truck the payload is the same and the motor is 500 lbs lighter thrn my diesel and the newer trucks hold more payload. So say an 09 250 you would be right at the legal limit. If you step up to a 350 or 3500 then you have payload to play with. best thing you can do is just find a truck you like the and do the math of what the plow you are gonna put on then your salter and salt add that up and if it's under what the trucks gvwr of the truck you are safe. My truck breaks down to 7200 for the truck empty 1000 lbs for the plow the salter is 600 and 1.5 cubic yards of salt will vary depending how wet it is an course but google says 1350 so I'll run with that 2025 10825 is my load lbs on a on a truck stickered at 10000 gvwr if the salt is wet I'm over by more but I hope my long winded posted is helpfull

15. bel-nor

bel-nor Member

With the 2500 or larger is a diesel relly needed?

16. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

Depends on what you plan to use the truck for if it's just plowing and daily driving gas motor is sufficient. If you tow regularly a gas truck can be geared to tow fairly well for trailer 10k an under. I have all diesels because I tow 13000lbs 2 or 3 times a week an that would work a gas motor to hard in my book when my diesels do it almost effortless.