1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Purchasing a F350 for snow plowing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by micasa1639, Jun 17, 2011.

1. micasa1639

micasa1639 Junior Member
    from 07755

I've had a landscape company for 2 years now and I want to open up my services to snow plowing this winter. I have to opportunity to purchase a 2004 Ford F350 dully turbo diesel crew cab, with 70K for what I think is a great price of $14,500 from a very good friend.

Anyway I know the truck can pull anything I have but does it have the pushing power and a front end efficient enough to plow?

If so what plow should I consider, that won't break the bank and can service residential and commercial.

Any info and opinions would be appreciated.
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

With a duelly and cruecab you will need a 9 1/2 or 10 ft plow that is a verrrrry big truck Are you going to plow driveways? or wally mart
  3. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

for sure a big truck!
    long box or short?
    I wouldn't plow with a dually unless there is no other choice.
  4. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

We use 2 dually's, big open spaces working with a 4x4 pick up to do the back dragging and tight spots.

9' plow is absolute minimum, we also put wings on them to make them 11 ft.

Both 2wd dumps, 1 extended cab, 1 regular cab with a tool box built behind the cab infront of the dump bed.

We do not do any residentials.
  5. TPC Services

TPC Services Senior Member

better hope hes has fixed all the motor problems those have had. otherwise you will be sinking a butt load of money ito that thing. other wise the front end of that thing will carry and plow you wnat to throw on it un like my dodge!!
  6. PrimoSR

PrimoSR Senior Member

Too big for residential IMO. If you are going to plow a commercial lot and use it to tow a bobcat then go for it.
  7. micasa1639

micasa1639 Junior Member
    from 07755

Thanks for the info and another question.

I ended up having the truck checked out by Ford because i've heard of some horror stories about the 6L. Everything was said to be in great working order so i bought it. And it is HUGE... Making a turn with the crew cab and 8' bed is something i really have to get used to.

I have a lot of residential clients who I could plow for but I also have some commercial property with lots or space to be plowed.

My other work truck is a light duty not sufficient to plow with so i have no other option, so what should I consider...

Straight plow or V Nose? I want to get something very soon because the prices are pretty good right now.

More advice would be very helpful.

8. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Nice lookin' truck! My vote is for a Blizzard 8611lp, nothing like pushing 11' of plow in a commercial lot and still being only 8.5' in the driveways! Thumbs Up
  9. Mackman

Mackman PlowSite.com Addict
    from S.E. PA

I have an 04 6.0 and its been a great motor. Have 61,000 on it. Love it.
  10. Pinky Demon

Pinky Demon PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

I'd vote for V or expandable wing plow. My CC/SB is a bear to turn around. I can't imagine what that thing is like with a leaf sprung front end. :dizzy:
  11. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Big Truck for drives

Nice truck and it will get the job completed. I like Boss plows and you need at least 9' for turning and staying in your plow line.

All this talk about the plow. Don't forget about a spreader for the back. If you are going to drives as well as some commercial work, a SnowEx 1875 swingaway spreader will make you a lot of money on the back side of the truck as well.
  12. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Bidding those jobs

If you are looking for help with bidding those jobs as well as overall snow operations, check out below.

Snow & Ice Management Bidding Package Includes:#1 Snow & Ice Management Manual – this is a comprehensive manual covering all aspects of snow & ice management for both residential and commercial accounts. Also includes application rates for many different deicing materials.

#2 Snow & Ice Management CD full of over 20 templates for contracts, route sheets, hours of operation sheets, Who’s first, proposal formats, don’t take the risk template for clients, sample invoices, sample marketing forms and much more. All these templates are in Microsoft Word format and are completely customizable to your business.

#3 Snow & Ice Management Quick Estimator CD – calculates per push, per event, hourly or season contracts. Also calculates material application rates for both granular and liquid applications for any deicing material that you may be using. This CD also calculates time and material for application of material, and hand labor as well. This CD runs in Microsoft Excel and is not software. You simply fill in the blanks and you have your estimate.

Go to www.profitsareus.com or call us at 800-845-0499 to order. Feel free to call us with any questions you might have as well. Being a full-service lawn & landscaping business myself since 1979, I know what a contractor is looking for; something simple, accurate and professional. This package is it.
  13. 6.5 Chevy

6.5 Chevy Member

I would go with a 9' 2" fisher v plow for the truck
    nice truck :nod:
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  14. micasa1639

micasa1639 Junior Member
    from 07755

Salt spreader for the rear GREAT point. i've seen 9'2" boss v-nose for about $4800 with mount and controls that seem like a pretty good deal to me.