1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

purchasing a buyers tailgate spreader

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by pipelayer, Aug 27, 2014.

1. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

im looking into getting and pretty much set my sights on a buyers tailgate spreader. i have nowhere to store bulk salt/sand, and it seemed to be a more economical choice, as i have a shortbed truck, and snowex wants 5k for their spreader that fits my 6 3/4 foot bed. this spreader is 11cu ft, and has the built in vibrator, being its the bigger of the two models i saw that they offer. i built i storage box in my truck, i can load and unload with my backhoe, for salt/sand. i was just wondering who if anyone has run these and if they liked them. they were priced better than the fisher i was looking into, and when i worked at the garage, 2 came in all season, it seemed i was fixing a pro-caster or poly caster every day. just looking for a review on these, positive or negative, i know its august, but im getting myself ready lol
  2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Which one? There's a few they make
  3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

4. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

I'm sorry it's a salt dogg tgs07
  5. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You can fit. 1.5 or 2 yard salt dogg in your truck
  6. chevy2500meyer

chevy2500meyer Member

saltdogg are pretty good the motors like to go a ever couple years if not taken care of. The bigger 1.5 or 2 yds salters we have two of them at the local university i work at. We replaced the old analog controller on one and the other one the vibrator bolts came loose. Also the motor shaft (auger) came loose in the front of the spreader. but it was just a couple loose bolts.
  7. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

for the money, and the fact I don't have a place to store bulk, im going with the tailgate spreader, also, ive done some reading on these and from what I can gather they are a well designed spreader that stays together. a good buy for the buck
  8. A.M.Canfora

A.M.Canfora Member

I think you're making a good choice. This is the model that comes with the vibrator standard so you will be able to run a salt sand mix in it. The lower models the vibrator is an option you have to add.
  9. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I never owned one but I know few had them for a short period One guy said stay clear of them
  10. toyotaboy

toyotaboy Member
    from DE

this will be my 3rd year with the tgs07 other than a replacement controller it hasnt been that bad havent checked it this year yet hopefully in the next month and get the plow serviced and ready before the rush begins i put tarps in the bed of my truck (6ft bed) and get one ton of bulk for my properties when needed just keep it covered drier salt runs thru better (cheaper in bulk) no bags and more profit with bulk