1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Punch a time clock at cust, location?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Novadiecast, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Novadiecast

Novadiecast Senior Member

I have a contract that wants me to punch a time clock when I come and go from the lot. I am charging them a flat hourly fee. I have not even invoiced them yet and now they are asking me to punch the clock. Would you do that? After all I went into business for myself so I would never have to punch a clock again. If I am punching their time clock that would make me an employee wouldn't it? I would rather have them sign my time sheet. This is a 24 hour place so somebody is always there.What is your thoughts on this subject?
  2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

do both, nothing wrong if they want to keep track of your hours, weither it is a time clock or a log sheet, you are still self employeed. Are you charging a per push price, or a hourly rate price? (i didn't quite understand what you ment by a "flat hourly rate")
  3. Novadiecast

Hourly rate
  4. snowplowchick

snowplowchick Senior Member

If you like the contract, then maybe set aside your feelings about the punch clock and see it for what it really is, a great way to confirm your hourly rate. Theoretically, there cannot be any grumbling about the bill as they will know you have been there, and for how long.

I had the same thing in a second year contract for a series of housing complexes. They were upset at the bill two years ago, so in order to keep the contract I agreed to punch in once. It was a per time contract, not hourly. It didn't make it any easier to get paid from them. They were a problem, and I realized they were not going to change. They still owe from last season, and have requested detailed logs, even though they have the records from the card scanner. Pain in the asses.
  5. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

agreed, there should be little to no discussion about hours billed then, and they should be paying you promptly too, as they well have a good idea, (even before you submit your bills) of what they owe you) At the same time, i have always found that my tollerance of companies that want to be that strict/PITA goes down, so i would put up with very little
    sh!t from them
  6. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

Park at the end of the lot & walk reaaaallll sloooow to punch out...
  7. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

and freeze your nanas off:confused::help::jester:
  8. NW Snow Removal

NW Snow Removal Senior Member

sounds like you got served and are still in shock over it.
  9. Novadiecast

I really don't think so. It came down from the distric manager. I have not even sent them one invoice yet and they are asking me to punch a clock?? I just have never been asked that before so it kind of ticked me off when I started thinking about it.

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

they are going to compare every statistic that they can get on you.

if you show a hesitation towards punching in... they will think something is up.
  11. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Tell'em to F-their time clock! Quit charging by the Hr. Nothing good ever comes of it.
  12. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

exactly why I hate hourly. if its hourly service its portal to portal. or you better charge $200 HR WHILE ON SITE. 2 hour acct at $80 hr = $160 who pays for sitting in traffic or truck set up? those 2 hrs on site could actually cost 5 hrs of your labor.
  13. WMHLC

WMHLC Senior Member

I don't see what the big deal is. We have a site and its seasonal and we still have to have our guys sign in and clock in. Its a very common thing when its a union shop. They have to do safety reports about outside contractors, and they use that type of data to figure out your safety rating. Good safety rating means you will keep your job till they go out of business.
  14. big acres

big acres Senior Member

It is what it is... if you agreed to hourly then I hope you were prepared to be honest about it. Not that you weren't anyways, but there should be no arguments.

BTW... don't most plow manuals state 10 M.P.H as the maximum speed? Assuming you have no other accounts to get to:D
  15. Novadiecast

OK, OK, Maybe I just got excited. I met with the manager and got my time card. They are a very large chain and just want to keep records for each one. I showed no hesitation. I have always been completely honest on hours. In fact this morning my wife tried to get me to leave 15 minutes early and I said no that would not be right.
  16. cseutah

cseutah Member
    from Utah

there seems to be a lot of customers who are getting into penny pinching snow removal. We have a management company that wants a text or some sort of verification as to times on properties, so i agreed that i would put gps tracking on all my trucks, and they pay for the group that services their accounts. win win situation no more arguing with people if we really plowed their lot that many times, the satellites keep track of every move. works real good too you can tell where they plowed the snow to and any movement on property. companies are just afraid of spending any more money than they have to.
  17. kickin'a

kickin'a Member
    from Iowa

Tell them fine You will punch the time clock, BUT... you have consulted your legal council and since I am required to punch your your time clock all of my liabiltes will be shifted to the stores location insurance, Sorry to have to explain this this way but this is the way it will be if something ever went to court or litigation. They will change their mind after they talk to their legal council and insurance company.
  18. KAG

KAG Senior Member

Man, times must be harder there. I don't do hourly but I hope yours is high.
  19. Runner

Runner Senior Member

Actually,...no. This would not be true.
  20. G&T LAWN

G&T LAWN Senior Member

Tell them to punch your timeclock when you hand them a bill and your going to charge them hourly tell you get paid