1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pumps-kero flush or what to use

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by cincy snowdog, Dec 29, 2005.

1. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

can you flush a meyer or western pump with kero or diesel fuel?need to clean a pump and dont have time to rebuild,what can we use?

2. bnewell

bnewell Banned
    from Ohio

3. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Use naptha, per Meyer manual. I get it at Tractor Supply, by the gallon. It's the cheapest place I've found near me.

4. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

thanks folks what actually is naptha ,is it like an alcohol base and what do you think of flushing it with it with trans fluid instead i want to leave it in couple days and make it run through the pump couple times

5. lawnmedic

lawnmedic Senior Member

Naptha is a thinner/solvent. You need something that will breakup any sludge that is in the sump. I don't think that trans fluid will break up any sludge. If you use anything wax(parafin) based you will need to flush it with naptha....