1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pumps for spray system

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by AbbottCon., Jan 12, 2010.

1. AbbottCon.

AbbottCon. Junior Member

I am going to make my own magic salt and i am trying to build my own spray system i already have a poly tank and i was wondering what/where to get the right pump. I'm in mass but i don't mind shipping if anyone can lead me in the right direction.

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

If you want gas buy a honda powered trasch pump rated for chemical use, ussually a plastic pump body, impeller and I think viton seals. If you want electric look at Turbo Turfs website, they sell electric pumps for this purpose. Either way, end of season thorughly flush with fresh water as even though your mix might not be corrosive to the pump as it dries up it will leave heavy deposits and can "lock up" the pump, had this happen couple years back and had to take the pump apart, remove literally chunks of deposits and it took a long time to get it all out. Also central equipment in I think Wayland Ny is a great source for Banjo fittings, hose, remote valves, and maybe pumps.

3. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Are you going to treat the pile, or wet it at the spinner?

4. AbbottCon.

AbbottCon. Junior Member

I am looking to treat my pile of salt. effectively making my own magic salt just not paying as much. so i basically looking to built a skid mounted spray unit.

5. Kubota 8540

How many gallons of liquid will you need to spray per ton? How many tons of salt?

6. AGMI

AGMI Member
    from NE Mass

I do the same thing, and I am local to you. Here is what I do. I have 2 - 300 gal. tanks that I have plumbed together. I have a 2" hose that reduces to 1 1/2" to 3/4" at the end. I have them 10' off the ground. (my supplier hooks up to the hose to fill) I have enough pressure with the gravity to treat my pile. I usually get in trailer loads. If you want to come down to see how I have it PM me. I can get you the tanks for about $125 ea and my supplier sells all the plumbing.

7. AbbottCon.

AbbottCon. Junior Member

i have a 300 gallon poly tank already. you need to spray 3 gallons per ton and we do about a 100 ton a season. the problem with the gravity feed system is we mix in batches of about 20 ton in a couple locations none of which are my shop. which is why i need a skid unit with a pump for mobility

8. 8 gallons per ton..

9. Kubota 8540

The reason I asked all the questions was to find out what pump you actually needed. A small electric would be more than enough to handle 8 gal/ton and 20 tons. I treated my salt pile with liquid calcium chloride last year with the electric pump ( 5 gal/min ) I have and it did fine. I paid $150 for the pump and fittings. Hooked up to the tote and pumped from the bottom valve. The pump was a 5 gal/min 12 volt unit. It worked fine, but didn't break any speed records. Why build a skid unit unless you plan on using it for a sprayer later on? Most of the gas powered pumps are like 160+ gallon per minute. That would be to big in my opinion.

10. A 5hp trash pump would be ideal. It more $ but more versatile.

11. Kubota 8540

More versatile without any doubt. At roughly $300 + fittings and hose, maybe $400? Just depends if he has use for it other than just treating salt in the winter?

12. AbbottCon.

AbbottCon. Junior Member

could i step up the trash pump to do hydro seeding in the summer and if so where can i get a pump like that?

13. Kubota 8540

I don't know anything about hydro seeding but if you can figure out what pump will work for that it would be no problem to set it up for simply spraying a salt pile.
    http://www.icecontrolsprayers.com/ also hydro seeding

14. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

5hp trash pumps can be had for around 500 with hoses. STRONGLY reccomend a honda engine.

15. T-MAN

T-MAN PlowSite.com Addict

Save the trash pump for pumping out sludge. Chemicals will eat aluminum up in no time flat. Most trash pumps are aluminum. My happy $150 aluminum barrel hand pump was chewed up in 1 month with magic -0. Useless junk now. Ate the seals and the aluminum. Mag. chloride products, (including as corrosive as water magic-0 ) eat the **** out of aluminum.
    I now have a lil briggs powered pacer chemical pump, made for pumping ag. materials. Zero issues.

16. STREETGLIDE

STREETGLIDE Member
    from OHIO

I wouldnt get a trash pump theres no control to them, Buy a Wilden air operated pump thats what we use on our asphalt sealer truck the pump will stop pumping when you close the ball valve,

17. turboguy

turboguy Member

If you decide to go the trash pump route most of the cheaper trash pumps have an aluminum pump and I would suggest you stay away from those. Banjo and Pacer make a poly trash pump that would work fine. If you want to make it into a hydro seeder for year round use you would not be able to make a very big one. I would say 150 gallons would be about all you would have the agitation to keep suspended.

Cast Iron also doesn't seem to be a problem with anti-icing chemicals.

18. JJSLandscape

JJSLandscape Member

go to the Banjo Pump website, and request them to send you some local distributor information. They sell a honda 5hp with the pump attached & sealed for around 750$. This is the exact pump that taconic sells as the "Magic Sprayer". I've decided to go this route and will be buying it next week. Let me know if you need any help.

19. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

How about this pump.
    5.5HP Brigs pacer pump.

20. turboguy

turboguy Member

The Banjo poly pumps can be purchased with the 5.5 HP Honda Electric start which is another plus. The electric start itself is no big deal but it does give you an electrical system so if you need to power an electric ball valve you can use the 12 volt system from the pump and not have to tie into your vehicles electric system.

That pacer on ebay is a good buy but personally for cold weather personally I like a Honda better.