1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pump

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by 1984 Dodge Plow, Oct 11, 2013.

1. 1984 Dodge Plow

1984 Dodge Plow Junior Member

Hey all,

I'm having issues with my RT-1 V Blade lifting. Any position its in, the blade struggles to lift. All connections are good and clean. Alternator is freshly done, along with the plow motor. I put a meter on and when lifting the plow, the battery goes down to 11 volts from 14 when running. The auto parts store tested the battery as good for charge, but the CCA are cut in half, could this effect it? Also, I put a pressure gauge on my unit, and I keep getting around 1200 PSI. Hoping its not the gear pump but have a feeling it is. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Fluid or maybe something in the filter.

3. 1984 Dodge Plow

Cleaned both filters inside the tank and put fresh Boss fluid in.

4. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

If your battery tests at 12volts but only 1/2 the rated amps you have 1 or more bad cells. This will make the pump run slow and quickly ruin it.

5. 1984 Dodge Plow

Just for a test I swapped a 9 month old battery from my Dad's vehicle and put it in place of mine. Plow went up just fine and quick in V and straight. In scoop it did good until the last little bit of raising to the top. His battery is only 690 CCA so I'm thinking if I get one over 800 CCA it should be fine?

Thanks!

6. az landscaping

az landscaping Member
    from mass

My friend had the same problem last year , got a used pump from someone and it was the same thing slow going up. He has the straight blade but was only pushing 800 psi with the new pump he got and got 2000 psi problem fixed. If i remember correctly the v plow needs a little more psi. If you throw on a pressure tester which sounds like you did you should be getting more psi then 1200.

7. 1984 Dodge Plow

I threw the gauge on again while testing earlier and was getting just shy of 1600psi on the lift cylinder line. I don't know if it matters but the set-up came from a straight blade. All I did was just swap valve manifolds and controller.. I don't know if the pump reliefs are set different for a straight vs. V. I only ask this from reading where others have adjusted the reliefs a little bit to bump up the psi.

8. az landscaping

az landscaping Member
    from mass

After playing with it for 2 day;s we called boss and talked to a tec they were very help full but we were told 1800 psi was the men we should be getting. But a v plow might need more, if you call boss they will give you a definite answer.I remember also they were having controler problems to. If you go up and down a few times and your pressure drops it sounds like a pump issue. A lot of dealers told us the pump rearly goes but they do .

9. 1984 Dodge Plow

Thanks for the help so far!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  10. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

Don't adjust anything until you put in the proper battery.

11. 1984 Dodge Plow

Got a new battery in and it seems better. The PSI is only hitting around 1500. It lifts fine in V and straight, but still struggles to lift when it gets about 3/4 of the way up in scoop. I'm thinking now that for sure it is the pump itself?

Thanks!