1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pump wont stop angling right

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by buterbn, Dec 1, 2009.

1. buterbn

buterbn Junior Member

When angling my Western to the right, the pump some times wont stop.. I have to get out of the vehicle and disconnect to make it stop trying to angle right.. Any ideas? I read somewhere that it might be grounding issues, but they looked secure.. I guess I will disconnect and reconnect grounds tommorow and check.. Just installed brand new solenoid too.. Controller busted?l

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Next time instead of disconnecting the power cable, reach down and disconnect the controller plug. If it immediately stops running then the controller is faulty. Which it likely is since it only sticks when a single (and specific) function is used.

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

My first thought would be the controller as well, my second would be the S2 Solenoid Cartridge is sticking, although even if it were malfunctioning I don't think it would allow the motor to keep running once the control button has been released.

I know you just bought this Ultramount, but did you buy the controller new, or was it part of a used package that you found. Did you use a relay system or a module?

4. RepoMan207

from Maine

opps. didn't see ya there. :waving:

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Appears that we type at about the same speed. :D

6. RepoMan207

from Maine

yup yup. So even if the S2 were to stick, it wouldn't cause the motor to keep going if the finger comes off the controller button right?

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You are correct. :nod: The only thing that commands the motor relay is the controller. Makes no difference what the valves are or aren't doing.

8. buterbn

buterbn Junior Member

Controller was bought used... Running the isolation module..

My brother has my truck right now, but as soon as I get it back I will test the controller.. I feel like the first time it happened, I tried turning off the controller and nothing happened. Im pretty sure I disconnected it after that, but don't remember if I just disconnected the power lead to the controller or the harness aswell.. I might have just got nervous and ran for the plow connections..

At any rate, i appreciate all the help and will let you know what happens when I get the truck back.

9. buterbn

buterbn Junior Member

So i tried testing the controller today and it doesnt seem to be the problem. I realized the pump gets stuck when going left as well and disconnecting the controller did not stop it.. Seems like it probably is the solenoid, but im going to double check the connections tomorrow...

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Easy enough test huh? Certainly rather buy a $20 solenoid than a $300 controller you do not need. :nod: