1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pump won't shut off

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by jmb49735, Oct 13, 2013.

1. jmb49735

jmb49735 Junior Member

Well I installed my new to me plow on my truck today and it's all messed up. My first problem is after I tried to make the plow move now the pump will not shut off. I had to unplug it to make it stop. The solenoid is brand new. The second problem is that the right wing will not stay in place. When I press the rt wing button the wing goes out and when I let go of the button it retracts back in. The plow is an Fisher V plow with a 3 plug system and a 4 port isolation module with a Fish Stick. Please help I'm lost.:confused:

2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Does the pump run as soon as you hook it up or starts after you hit a button on the control? Double check wiring or bad solenoid. Would inspect the check valves for debris or bad o-ring to stop the wing from drifting.

Edit: meant to say relief valves, not check valves. Should be 2 for each side.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Sound like a hand control is mess up

Had friends plow did same thing I installed my hand control and it wouldn't run.

You have a extra one or a friend has same plow

Not saying this is your problem but its a place to start

When I look at my friends that first place I started next step would been on the coils

4. jmb49735

jmb49735 Junior Member

When I first hooked it up it was not running but after I picked up the blade the pump kept running. I don't think it's the solenoid seeing that it is brand new. Bought it today.

5. jmb49735

jmb49735 Junior Member

I don't know anybody that has this old of a plow. But that is posible that may be the issue. I wonder if I unplug the controler if the pump will quit running?

6. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Not saying it can't be anything else. Try unplugging controller when it does it. This will eliminate the controller. If it is still doing it after that it has to be the solenoid. If it was wiring it would run as soon as hooked up. Could be just a cheap solenoid not able to handle the required amperage. Which could be causing it to instantly weld the contact points in the solenoid.

7. Antlerart06

It can go either way You can try but it wont answer your ? with out having another one to check it. My self I have extra ones they don't last forever .

If you put a new solenoid on , was it for a fisher plow or was it one bought a parts store . A lot parts stores wont work and its not uncommon to get a new one that is already broken

Good Luck with it

8. Antlerart06

Your Right wing problem could be in the hand control to.
    One way check it go to pump and locate the right coils and left coil and swap the wires. Then hit left button and Right wing should move and it doesn't act funny. Then hit Right button and left wing will move and if the left wing acts funny then the problem is The hand control.

If still acts funny on the right with the swap wires then its a coil or a stuck valve or a bad O ring

Its been few years since I mess with a 3 plug system

9. jmb49735

jmb49735 Junior Member

Thanks for the help. I will play with it more in the morning. The solenoid was a parts store one. I'll try one more if that one goes I'll get a Fisher one.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's nothing wrong with the R wing. It's retracting because the motor is running on as it doesn't use any valve functions to retract, just the pump running.

Can still be a bad controller though if it isn't the "parts store" motor solenoid, which is most likely the problem. Can't just use any solenoid. :nono:

11. Antlerart06

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Run the R wing forward. Connect a set of jumper cables directly to the motor, ie no commands from the control what so ever- and the wing will retract. Promise. :waving:

13. Antlerart06

You sure about that

14. ChevKid03

ChevKid03 Senior Member

IF B&B said it will........it will. Pretty sure this dude knows his stuff in and out....

15. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Failed new out of box is common, particularly among the cheap aftermarkets. I talked to one gentleman who had three in a row:dizzy:

Many times the parts store unit that works doesn't have the duty cycle or amp load requirements and will fail when you need it most. Remember not all parts store guys are created equal, some will get it right.

Listen to Mike (B&B):nod:

16. jmb49735

jmb49735 Junior Member

You were right! Went to the Western dealer and bought one from them and all is well. It's amazing how well thing work when you have high quality parts. Also the right wing works the way it should! Thanks B&B.:salute: