1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pump wont cut out

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by red dog, Feb 24, 2014.

1. red dog

red dog Junior Member

2003 GMC 2500 HD with 2009 8 ft pro plow .The plow was installed by dealer for Western in 09 and has been trouble free until tonight.Raised plow and pump was sequealing,dropped blade and it rose on its own.I then dropped blade and shut truck off,pump continued squealing but blade didn't raise.However pumped continued until battery went dead.Is this a solenoid issue or remote(handheld).Boosted truck after unhooking plow connections and dragged plow on truck back into yard.Total time of this 2 minutes until battery drained so how much damage could be done to pump is the other question I have.Has this happened to others ?After putting in yard released receivers removed plow truck works fine have not tried plow since.Try tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  2. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Bad solenoid or control are the most common.

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Disconnect one of the small wires from the motor relay (solenoid) and then put a test light on the output side of the motor relay. If the tester lights up replace the motor relay. If not you have controller or harness problems.
    Next time your motor stays on like that just pull the motor feed grill plug to save battery and pump.

4. red dog

red dog Junior Member

Put plow on truck today,worked fine.Up ,down, right to left a couple times no lssues.Had to air mail solenoid won't get in until Friday.Dealer had none, 2 to 3 days best they can do.Drained fluid from pump and refilled with Western .Is this how a bad solenoid acts.Keep in mind blade had no use today just put on truck and brought back to my house and put in garage.Should note that before this incident happening,passenger side front caliber stuck on truck.Threw some snow on rotor and behind wheel to cool causing steam.Could this steam have caused something to short.Will be installing solenoid regardless.Priced new controller $395 Can.Solenoid was $47 plus $30 for " rush" delivery.Never ordered controller as I think solenoid is problem.Weather hear is calling for 12-16 inches of snow Thursday.

5. mishnick

Motor relay (solenoid) is the most common failing part of these plows. A bit of steam would not make it fail. It's the high current flowing through it that destroys them. If you open the old one up you will find a copper disk and two copper contacts. The disk and one contact will look like it was welded with arch corrosion. That's what makes them stick. They weld themselves together when they are old. But the intermittent failure is typical. When they stick you can often give them a wack with a soft rubber hammer and they will let go.

6. red dog

red dog Junior Member

Tried to match a solenoid from Fisher .Dealer from Fisher told me they look identical but for it to work on Western the Western solenoid would have to be marked continuous.This based on year of my plow being 2009.Cost of the Fisher $15 Can.

7. mishnick

There r two relays. You should use the int (intermittent) on any multiplex unit where the relay is onboard the plow and cont (continuous) on the older models where they are mounted under the hood. The int version has a bit less coil resistance and stronger magnet but gets hot if left on for a long time. This is to compensate for lower operating voltage when they are farther away from the battery (voltage loss). U can use an int on either but don't use cont on a multiplex.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2014
  8. red dog

red dog Junior Member

As said took plow off truck and changed fluid.Collapsed lift ram and angled fully left.Drained fluid did not remove angle ram hoses as was only a quick change and refilled.Tonite upon hooking truck to plow the blade will barely raise or angle without pressing controller multiple times and blade doing a lot of shaking and pump winding.Is this a result of the bad solenoid.

9. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

I'm thinking air in the system

10. mishnick

That is not the solenoid. It's just a switch to turn pump motor on and off. When u changed fluid did u take the reservoir off? There r some strange things happening. As I read I saw u said plow lifted on its own when motor didn't shut off. And now struggles to move. Sounds like valves to me. Maybe pump running too long did some damage and you have metal bits making your valves stick. Just guessing.
    This is a straight right? Has three plugs at the grill? Maybe air like dieseless says. When u fill u must fill, work and check three times. Fill until it comes out level plug, work up down, left right, put it down, top it up then do it again. The third time it shouldn't take any more. After that all air will be worked out of rams and lines.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  11. mishnick

Lord tunderin! I c you bys r from the coast......where exactly? My family is from the east, Lunenburg NS.

12. red dog

red dog Junior Member

Filled to level with plug.Hooked to truck chatter and lift of inch at a time with each press of controller.Thinking solenoid preventing proper operation of controller?

13. mishnick

Chatter? Is the relay chattering? R u sure u connected the wires correctly when u replaced it?

14. red dog

red dog Junior Member

Still has old solenoid, new one in on Friday.Pump seems to cut in and out when pressing controller that's why I was wondering if was solenoid.

15. mishnick

Could b solenoid or controller.

16. kimber750

kimber750 PlowSite Veteran

Thinking you have more than one issue. Solenoid is mostly cause of pump staying and if it wasn't shot then it sure is after running until battery went dead. Also need to check power cables since they most likely got very hot while draining battery. Now for chattering, either you don't have it full, still have air in system or pickup tube is off/clogged. I do not know the date that they started updating the pick up design to know if yours has the updated version or not. These are the items I would be checking into.

17. red dog

red dog Junior Member

New solenoid installed and all is well.Thank you all for your help.As for the chatter issue after changing fluid it was the result of having the pump plug from truck to plow hooked up backwards.First time I ever done this and of times when other problems were on going.I had to mention this because some of you were smart enough to know if wasn't a solenoid issue.I hang my head in shame.

18. mishnick

That certainly explains the chatter. I am surprised the motor turned at all because it would have been a dead short like a wrench across the battery posts!