1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pump was run almost dry....now goes up S L O W

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by kbsnow, Feb 6, 2011.

1. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

My partner borrowed my truck as his was down. I reminded him to chk the pump oil. He DIDN"T Well, he calls me and tells me it is raising real slow. I got the truck back and checkd it out, and I put quart of oil in before it was at the fill hole. But the pump is still running slow. It angles left and right fine, but seems like not a lot of pressure for raising. Now mind ya, This used to be the fastest raising Isamark3 I ever saw and has worked flawlessly since its rebuild 5 years ago. Could it be a clogged filter? Cable problem?

2. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

3. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

if the filter screen is not plugged and there is no ice in it them you may want ot do a pressure test on the pump. If it ran dry and this guy kept his finger on the button too long the pump gears would wear because there was not enough oil. Like any machine that needs oil if it is used without oil damage can be done. Just like my first wife learned when she drove the car home "as fast as I could for the last 30 miles because the engine oil light was on!" Had she just pulled over and shut it off the motor it would have been fine but since she kept going with no oil it destroyed the motor. When you have a leak fix it, a good plow needs only to have the fluid changed once a year, if you have to add fluid regularly you have a leak that needs to be fixed.

4. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

The packing seal for the ram has been leaking, and that is why I told him to make sure there was fluid. I topped it off every time I used it, and wanted him to do the same thing. I ordered all new packings and a new filter but they did not arrive before he used it. I do have a spare Isamark system with bad control valves, but the pump and motor are good. I will try a new filter and and replace the packing seals before I swap out pumps.

5. twinman326

If that was the case, I would of change the bad "valve " and put the spare unit on the plow..

Now you might have a problem with the pump after the fluid has run dried..

6. kbsnow

kbsnow Senior Member
    from Chicago

Well with this warm weather I finally got around to working on the pump. I drained the fluid which came out BLACK, and then removed the electric motor. YIKES it was like mud in there. Removed the pump and cleaned it, cleaned the filter, cleaned the housing, and everything is spotless. Since I had it apart, I figured I would try to rplace the packings. Now, I did get the ram nut off, and started pulling the pump rod up, but then it stopped. Is there magic to getting it out, or just a lot of leverage and "muscle"? I reassembled everything, tightened the not a bit, and filled the old pump up with oil. VOILA, works like a charm. I will need a set of black cables next year as the ones one the unit looked pretty bad. Once I can figure out how to remove the ram, I have the seal kit waiting to go in.

Oh ya, this is an Isamark cable system.

7. twinman326

For the time being I would of just change the packing nut seal..

The lift ram (plunger) should come out (not that hard) if you were pulling up straight.. Or less the "retainer ring" (#30 in the pic. red arrow pointing at it) might be giving you problems..

Here is the link to the PDF for your unit. This gives you all the part numbers..
    http://library.westernplows.com/westernplows/pdf/13359_120503.pdf

packing nut.jpg

packing nut.jpg