1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pump unit change ???

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by macawpat, Nov 21, 2008.

1. macawpat

macawpat Member

I have an older conventional plow pump that no one seemed to figure out why it would not turn the blade. It has a 2" ram and instead of trying to figure it out now when I need it most laporte county, Indiana. I purchased a rebuilt unit, it only has a 1 1/2 in. ram will it work in place of the 2" unit? The motor on the new one is smaller will it make any difference, and if so could I use the bigger motor on the new unit. Any takes on this one. Thanks, Pat.

2. macawpat

macawpat Member

Ok stop the music, my western tech that was supposed to check out my system to figure out the problem with my plow and could not and also relieved my pocket of 100 dollars labor, told me that the repair would be in the neighborhood of 800 with labor, 4 way valve , 2 new rams on the bottom, couplers, gaskets, o-rings, overlooked one detail before giving me that quote. I had told him to flush out the system which I believe he did but after I picked myself up off the floor when he gave me that quote I decided to take my truck home and think about it.When I got home I figured I would just for the heck of it check the fluid level guess what it took 1/2 gallon to fill up the system and get the air out of it. Although the plow is still not working 100% correctlly angling, it will move left and right. I believe it still may have a little air in the system and a little adjusting of the cable but I am in the optical business not the plow fixing business. I figure I should leave that to the pros????????????

3. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Not that one, but I would pull the valves out one at a time and clean them up..... Start there.

What do you mean by not correctly moving? More info would help diagnose faster.

4. macawpat

macawpat Member

I can adjust the cable and get it to move all the way to the left. But it will not come back to the right after adjusting the cable a little bit it will go to the right but only 1/4 the way and will not go back to the left. I tried several small adjustments and cannot get full travel in both directions at one time. Only when I adjusted the cable way off did it move all the way to the right so I know it will fully extend. Thanks, sechracer

5. macawpat

macawpat Member

Cartridge valves ???

I would like to try pulling out the cartridge valves for cleaning as suggested on a western website. I have looked at the schematic for my hydraulic unit but it only points out cushion valves are they the same or can someone tell me where to find the cartridge valves. Thanks,

Last edited: Nov 22, 2008
  6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

sechracer probably didnt read your whole post and doesnt ralize that you have a cable operated pump.

Are the cables on the pump new or old?

IF they are not new cables, go buy new ones. Dealing with old cables will drive you crazy before you ever get it adjusted.

7. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Nah, I caught it, just wasnt awake enough to think of that first.... Plus if he did not flush out the system, it may have had crap in there.