1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pump turns on when it is supposed to but nothing moves

Discussion in 'SNO-PRO PLOW AND ACCESSORIES by Curtis' started by tpeck202, Jan 13, 2009.

1. tpeck202

tpeck202 Junior Member

I just put on a Curtis sno pro 3000 plow that has been sitthing aroung for a couple years, i put a new wiring harness on truck and plow, Pump runs when it is supposed to but nothing moves, anyone have any sugestions

2. Stan MI

Stan MI Member

Just had a similar problem and called Curtis for help. Angelo walked my through some trouble shooting that really helped out.

I would suggest first checking that your controller is putting out power to the coils. The controller has a White junction box that plugs into the harness that comes from the plow. I looked for 12c (dc) at the Red wire (lift). Hooked up a multi meter to the Red (hot) and Orange (ground all through the system). If thats good (It's putting out power) move on to the plug. From here on I just checked for continuity. Hook to Red again were you just checked for power. The other side connects to the second pin from the left on the top row of the Large Black plug ( this is assuming you have the one plug connection. If you have a two plug connection it will be different. ) Top row is the row with six pins. That put the angled corner of the plug lower right (again this is assuming a 1 plug connection). If that's good move to the plug on the plow side. Check from the plug to the coil on the valve.

If you have power flowing all the way through you might try and open up the pins on the plug a little.

You may also have a hydraulic problem caused by the plow sitting. You can slide off the coils and clean the valves pretty easy. Just be careful.

Hope this helps.

3. Stan MI

Stan MI Member

Forgot to add. Welcome to the forum !!! Lots of good people here with a lot of help. Not a lot of Curtis people but I'm sure you can tell that from the post numbers.

4. stans1949

stans1949 Junior Member
    from MN

A quick way to find out if your problem is electric or hydrolic- take the pump cover off so you can get at the coils. In the manifold there is a valve for each function with a coil on it. If the coil is working the end of the valve/coil should magnatize. If the coils are magnitizing then its not an electrical problem. If they arent trace around till you find where you lose power. If they all are magnatizing there is probly water or some other type of contamination in the valves and they are not opening, then you need to change the oil and clean all the valves. If its an older plow with a plastic resivoir its probly cracked and leaking in water they also will just build up condensation from sitting. If it has water in it you may have to repeat the valve cleaning/fluid changing process several times. If you suspect it has water in it bring the plow in a warm shop and let it thaw out and if it works when its warm there is defnatley water in the fluid. If you have any questions you can e-mail me stans1949@gmail.com i can send schematics, flow charts, breakdowns, troubleshooting guides and that sort of stuff if its of any help.