1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pump swap

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by blazaman2001, Feb 7, 2004.

1. blazaman2001

blazaman2001 Junior Member

I came across a 6.5' fisher plow around the corner from my house the other day, but is not the new electric over hydraulic, it is the one with the hydraulics under the hood. I was wondering if for a good price, I could swap the pump to the new style hydraulics.
  2. poncho62

poncho62 Senior Member

I'm sure you could, but remember, the hydraulics are the most expensive part of the unit. Hope yo are getting a good deal on it.

Do you have an electric over hydraulic unit and controls?
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Might think about keeping the system the same. Make it work for you. No amp draw to worry about. You can figure on about $500 + to upgrade to a electric pump and controls.
  4. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

If you get that plow and you swap out the hydraulics let me know if you want to sell the old hydraulics...Rob
  5. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

I wouldn't switch it if I were you. The Fisher belt-driven system is widely considered to be superior in reliability and durability. (Do a search on this site -- I'm not the only one who feels this way) The system is practically bullet-proof. I have a 20-year-old belt driven Fisher setup that works just as well as the day it was made. And I wouldn't trade it even if you offered me a brand new Minute Mount II.

Just my 2-cents, arguably worth that.

Jeff Pierce
  6. blazaman2001

blazaman2001 Junior Member

the only reason that i was considering changing it was because the truck it would go on is a 1995 s-10 blazer......there isn't alot of room under the hood and I just thought it would make the installation easier.
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Your right, notmuch room under the hood on smaller trucks.
    Well if you buy it post the pump and controls on the "equipment for sale " forum on this site. Maybe you can make such a deal for an electric over hydraulic setup. You will have to upgrade the charging system on the S-10 it's probably only a 60 amp alternator and a small battery. Been there, did it with a Bronco II.
  8. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

you can pick up fisher/western pumps on ebay for $100-$350 they are both the same and can replace the underhood setup

if you do swap put me in line for the old hydro system
  9. tvpierce

tvpierce Senior Member
    from Maine

Here's a link to Fisher's site that shows the setup (and part #s) for instalation on your truck. It look like the pump mounts sown low on the drivers' side. I bet you can still get the parts you need. I think that'd be your best bet in terms of price and reliability:

10. PLOWMAN45

PLOWMAN45 2000 Club Member

i would leave the belt hydraulics under the hood
  11. delong5876

delong5876 Junior Member

I Got 2 Extra Belt Driven Pumps If U R Interested