1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pump stops responding to input

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by dt5150, Jan 23, 2012.

1. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

i've got an older mark IIIa setup on my cj7. while plowing some recent snow, it stopped working. up until then it was working fine. when it stopped, i could hear the solenoid clicking as i moved the joystick around, but the pump did nothing. i dragged the blade in reverse a little ways and then went forward again. then it started working again and it was working when i put it away. this isn't the first time this has happened. my power and ground cables could be in better shape.. think it could be those? since the solenoid was making noise, i would think that the command from the joystick is getting to it. all connections are tight btw, and the grounds are clean. is there anything else i should consider before buying new power and ground cables?

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

Put a test light on the motor terminals, if the light comes on when your relay clicks but the motor doesn't turn then your relay, cables and plugs are fine, its a bad motor. If the light does NOT come on then move your test light to the output side of the relay, if the light comes on there then your relay is fine but the cables or plug are failing. If the light does NOT come one at the relay then replace the relay. Most often the problem will be either the motor or the relay. Loose connections on the relay often cause relay failure. The bad conection is like a power bottle neck and this generated significant heat becuase of the high current the motor draws. That heat cooks the relay.

3. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

great suggestions, thanks. i'll give em a try. the hard part is catching it while it's doing it. or not doing it i should say. my relay is brand new btw. that was the first thing i replaced when i noticed the problem back in november, but it's still doing it. hope it's just the old crappy cables and not the motor...

4. mishnick

Could still be just a bad ground preventing the relay from getting current. That is a common problem on the old isarmatics. Check that black / orange wire from the small relay terminal to the battery negative post. That is a common failure point.

5. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

will do. i've gone over all the connections a few times but it never hurts to check em again.

funny thing is, most of the pics i see of these units online show a ground post on the back of the pump housing, opposite the positive post. mine doesn't have one.. nothing there. i have it grounded to one of the pump housing bolts.

6. mishnick

As long as there is a good ground somewhere on the motor or reservoir that's fine. They may look fine but your should use a test light or voltmeter to check them under load. If you can just hook up a little 12 volt light to the motor terminals and tape it to the hood or something just temporarily so that you can see each time you hit up / left or right the light should come on. If the motor fails while you are plowing you will see if the light fails too or not. If the light continues to work then you know the motor is the problem. If the light fails too then it is a cable or relay problem. That would narrow things down.

7. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

good idea, thanks mish. i should have a light laying around i could use.. and enough cable to maybe temp. run it into the cab. i might try it tonight.. gotta plow some slush/slop that we're getting today. if it's still raining, i'll probably run it into the cab to keep it dry.

8. mishnick

Running it to the cab is best but takes a bit more work. I have a little junction box that I built several lights into that I actually hook up to multiple things like the motor, the coils etc. Then I just run the single multiconductor wire through the door and then tell the guys to do their thing and report which lights turn on when. With intermittant failures like yours you have to be ready to make observations when the problem occurs. You don't want to be messing around with a test light when you are alone at zero-dark-thirty in a blizzard.

Hope the light gives you some insight. I am going to be away for a week to Mexico so if you post something and I don't reply don't think I cut you off. I will be back next weekend to hear what you have learned.

9. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

cool, thanks for the help man.

10. dt5150

dt5150 Senior Member
    from NH

picked up a simple test light and ran it into the cab. we haven't had any snow so i haven't been able to use it too much. i played around with it for a while after hookin up the light but didn't get any failures. we shall see...

11. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Pump stopped responding to input

Roll her over.

12. drstiddy

drstiddy Junior Member

I've had problems like this too. once it was a bad ground wire...actually the small one that goes to the solenoid relay to the battery. try changing it. also last season i had the solenoid go out during as storm. would click and jumping it with a screw driver would make pump motor spin. come to find out the relay melted one of the terminals and when i went to unloosen it...the stud just spun out. new relay and i was good to go.