1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

? pump sprayers

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Avitare, Mar 7, 2008.

1. new to ice mgmt-- rare problem here,but this isnt a normal year

we usually mix sand and salt and carry for hand spreading of a walk-spreader.

This whole area is one big (frozen) sand dune. Any normal sand pit is piled high
    with snow and/or frozen. So even sand is in short supply.

A trip to restock rock salt took a desperate turn today and finally found an Ace Hdwr
    that had restocked this morning (Farm store, Kmart and supermarts were all bare)
    Paid a premium but thought about liquid deicers and wonder if we could use
    garden pump sprayers for residential walks
    and a few steep driveways ??

I should have researched before asking, but hope to find you all in a good mood,..
  2. BulldogPS

BulldogPS Member

Yes you can use the liquds out of a traditional pump sprayer but is best dispensed with backpack sprayer like the echo. I think I saw one at local hardware store for $109 or so, probably cheaper at an equipment supplier. Backpacks hold 5-6 gallons and easier to carry.
    You will probably have to use more liquid to de-ice than pre-treat. Ther is a company Bare Ground Systems that sell liquid online by the gallon but you can call them for larger quantities (55 gallon drums etc.). Also Magic -0 which is what I use, The Magic Salt website can help you locate a local dealer.