1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pump smoked?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by sechracer, Nov 5, 2007.

1. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

I have a 7 1/2' uni-mount plow. last winter it acted like it froze up on me. I put it in a garage and let it warm up for a few days, but it still would not move. I tested the motor and that worked fine, but when I tried to turn the pump by hand it wouldn't move. I took it out and cleaned the filter, put everything back together with new fluid, but it still wouldn't work. I then loosened the bolts on the pump just a hair (less than a 1/4 turn) and the plow works, but is weak.... Is the pump smoked or just clogged? I have the truck just about ready for the snow, just need to figure out if I need to but the new pump or not. Would rather not spend $140 if I don't need to.

Thanks in advance
    Tom

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Could you spin the pump shaft by hand with the pump bolts tight? It might have a chipped tooth or a burr inside the gear housing that locks the pump up when you torque the mounting bolts..

3. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

No, it would not turn if I torqued it down, but as soon as I tapped the bolts loose just a hair it would work......

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Then somethings wrong inside the gear pump like I mentioned...a good pump will easily spin with two fingers. Replace the pump.

5. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Dern, and I was hoping there was some way I could rebuild it or something.... Oh well, Thanks B

Tom

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Sorry bud..I couldn't tell you what was wrong without also telling you what you didn't want to hear...:D

7. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

reality hurts, I already know that one.... But hope is always a good thing... Like I said, figured it was but but hopeing...

8. sechracer

sechracer Senior Member

Well, I ripped the pump apart and found a small burr.... Filed that off and put it back together... Pump seems to work now when it is torqued down. However. I still cant turn it freely with my fingers but it turns easily with a pair of plyers. Plow does all requested functions, but seems to move a little slow. Also, when angling all the way to the stops, it bangs when moving back toward center and shakes the truck. But it is only when it first leaves the stops. It will also on occasion, not drop. When it wont drop, if I hit lift, it will angle left. If I angle it left then right then center it again, it drops and lifts fine. But like I said. It occasionally does that, not all the time. Any ideas? Pump is clean, as well as filter. I cleaned out the housing and used brand new fluid.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2007
  9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Did you check the pump pressure on it? If it's down on pressure it will definitely cause it to seem slow..but so can a worn motor or a weak battery.
    That's usually caused a worn pivot hole and or/bolt on the nose plate at the front of the A-frame.
    Has to be an electrical issue there.. because for it to angle left instead of raise the S2 valve would also have to be energized along with the S3 (lift valve). Plus, your S1 that control's the lowering of the plow doesn't always function either..so it's gotta be an electrical issue rather than a valve or hydraulic problem.