1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pump runs on when lifting tower

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by c.schulz, Nov 26, 2008.

1. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

Ive replaced the switch thinking that was the problem. Once I hit the switch to raise the tower and attach to truck the pump runs and stays running. But does not raise tower. Try and switch down and its fighting in 2 directions. If I push tower up by hand and attach plow everything works fine.....up ,down ,left right. Wiring is all correct so I'm thinking solenoid/valve some how. Need some help here guys.:dizzy:

Chris

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

:)sound like a problem with the smart hitch valve either the coil is not opening the valve ,or the valve might be stuck .take it out clean and blow it out i don't know if you can push in on the bottom of the valve to see if it moves.

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You mean the pump continues to run after you release the SH switch?

4. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

Yes the pump keeps running and will not shut off unless I unplug disconnect some how. If I switch down it seems to stain in both directions. Im thinking a sticky valve or dirt. But everythings works fine when hooked up. I just have to push tower up manually.
    Give me some ideas and I'll work on it this weekend.

Chris

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A solenoid coil, or a valve problem wouldn't cause the pump to run after releasing the SH switch.

If your 100% POSITIVE that you have all the switch related wires in the correct spot, and since this was an issue before you changed the switch I'd be highly susceptible to suspect a failed in line diode in the white wire that jumps from the white wire to the white/black wire on the switch. If the diode fails it can cause the motor to run after releasing the switch. You can check the operation of the diode with a DVOM that has diode testing capability...or, use a volt to check to see if the diode only allows current flow in one direction, as it should.

6. Get Plowed AK

Get Plowed AK Member

Yeah i had a similar problem with a blow diode in the controller. Current should only run one direction on the white. I tested mine with DVOM on Ohms setting. Resistance runs from black to red on the DVOM. Correct me if im wrong B&B. You can get them at Radio shack for about .35cents. There are many different diodes so have them read the color bands if you cant.

Good luck

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

100% correct. Although its tough to find a Radio Shack diode tough enough to survive under the pump cover. They're fine in the controller but under the pump cover well....

8. Get Plowed AK

Get Plowed AK Member

Ah yeah you bring up a good point. Controller is a little less extreme.

9. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

Well guys you are right on the money. I did some tests and power runs both ways. I'll probably just buy a new harness but cant find a part number from the Boss site. Not sure what version that I have so I'll have to call them on Monday. I know its not MSC04673. My diagram shows diode and jumper on right side of switch.
    [​IMG]

Anyone know what version this is? And by the way Thanks guys your a big help ! :D

Chris

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your MSC04673 is correct...it's simply shown differently in the wiring layout diagram.

Not a good pic I know but here's what it looks like..

MSC04673_lg.jpg

11. c.schulz

c.schulz Senior Member

4673 has a separate black wire and the harness I have the black and white are crimped at a terminal. I'll have to take a look and see if it will work. I do have a 4673 that was on the shelf.
    Thanks B&B, what is your background? You are all over this forum with lots of info. A really big help to us all. ussmileyflag

Chris

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

All you need is the diode...you can make whatever connections you need to they're nothing special.

Background? I'm a keyboard fanatic. :D