1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pump runs constantly?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Pete Lounsbury, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Pete Lounsbury

Pete Lounsbury Junior Member

Ok I am new here so please bear with me. I purchased an 85 GMC sierra with a western 7 ft plow on it. I've done a bunch of work on the truck but I'm not as familiar with the plow workings. When I connect the positive battery lead the plow goes up no matter where the control stick is. What should I start by looking at, replacing, or testing?

Thank you
    Pete Lounsbury

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Cable control? if so look for a broken cable, maybe the valve gate is in raise.
    remove the top rectangualer plate and check the lever behind it.

3. snowplowpro

snowplowpro Senior Member
    from NJ

or your solenoid under your hood is bad

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

When I connect the positive battery lead the plow goes up no matter where the control stick is""

I'd think the control would have some effect on function if it was electric. If he means the motor runs it could be. if it only raises i'd think cable.

I think we need more info

5. Pete Lounsbury

Pete Lounsbury Junior Member

sorry I didn't get back with details. It is a cable control and I got it fixed. The cable had come loose from the front of the box and was making contact with the solenoid switch all the time. (the seam in the front of the box had split.) I got it all put back together and screwed down tight and everything works fine.

Thank you all for your suggestions and help.

Pete