1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pump running all the time

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by martyrant, Nov 19, 2012.

1. martyrant

martyrant Member
    from Maine

Hello,

First I want to preface this with the fact that I don't know anything about plows, really, and this was my first time installing one. I bought the plow used and got it on my yard truck (97 Chevy S10) and right now the pump seems to work as I am able to get the plow to lift, lower, and go right/left.

What I don't know, since I bought it used, is there an on/off switch for these plows? I didn't get one if there is supposed to be, and when I connect the pump to the battery it just constantly runs, even if the Controller stick is dead set in the middle.

I also want to bleed the lines and replace the hydraulic oil, but am not exactly sure where the drain plug is--I'm pretty sure I know which one is the fill.

I took pictures as I'm not sure what model the plow is (it is a Fisher electric pump).

The first picture I thought the drain plug may be what I circled in red, but there is no threading/or any way to remove it from what I can tell. I did notice that there were two more drain or fill ports that I circled in blue--are those the drain where I would bleed the system from?

Second picture is what I'm pretty sure is the fill port circled in red.

The last two are of the controller--there is no on/off switch on it, but I did notice there was a blue electrical lead that didn't go to any other part that came with what I got. Does this go to a relay switch to keep the pump from running when the stick is in the middle?

Any information or insight would be greatly appreciated--if I need to find out which model this is, where would I look for a serial/model#?

Thanks in advance.

drainplug.jpg

fill.jpg

controller.jpg

controller2.jpg

2. martyrant

martyrant Member
    from Maine

Answered a few of my questions by looking at random plow guides from the fisherplow library. So I do need a relay of some sort (saw in a diagram it lists a Motor Relay off the battery)--but my problem is again that I do not see any on/off switch from the controller--should I just build my own relay and make a ghetto switch? Or does the controller actually turn off the pump when it's in the middle if I hook that blue wire coming out of it to the relay?

I was also able to figure out the drain/fill plugs correctly (the ones in red) but my drain port seems to have no thread/way of getting out--any suggestions on getting it loose?

Also, any guides to bleeding a system? Or do you just drain all the oil through the drain port, replace the plug, then fill her up from the fill port?

3. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

when I do mine i take the motor off .There is a filter in there that needs to be cleaned/changed. When the motor is off you can just dump it over and drain the fluid. fill it back up and good to go. you don't have to bleed it . Just run it threw the motions then top it off. That wire off the control goes to the relay/solenoid. You can get the wiring diagram from the fisher site

4. martyrant

martyrant Member
    from Maine

Thanks for the information on how to change the oil and how to get at the filter. Do you know how to figure out which plow I have? I've looked for a serial number or some sort of marking, but the safety/instruction labels are all but gone. I was able to find a schematic that looked like the plow/pump I have, but it did not have the controller I have listed anywhere in there (all the ones it listed had an on/off switch on the controller, mine does not).

5. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

you have a cable control unit. on the Western site you can look under the conventional plow section for info on it. not sure where they have it on Fisher's site.
    There's no on/off switch for a cable control unit. it's just got the mechanical cables, and that little wire is a ground wire to the motor relay. so you need a relay set up to be ground activated. If you get a Western 56131K-2 it has a sheet in it to show you how to hook it up.

6. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

and yes the plugs you circled in red are the fill and drain. don't mess with the circled blue ones. and like quigley said you don't really have to bleed it. just angle back and forth a few times, it will be all jerky at first and then when it smooths out the lines and cylinders are full, then top off fluid again.
    and yes you don't HAVE to get the drain plug out. we take the motor off, suck the oil out, push the fluid out of the cylinders, pull the pump, clean it all out with brake clean, change the oring on the bottom of the pump and the motor gasket, clean out or replace the filter on the side of the pump, and put it back together. top off at the fill plug after running it side to side.

7. martyrant

martyrant Member
    from Maine

Awesome, thank you very much Nealybird! I think you just solved all my problems...

8. martyrant

martyrant Member
    from Maine

9. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

Yes thats it.

10. nealybird

nealybird Senior Member

yep, that's correct!

11. martyrant

martyrant Member
    from Maine

Thanks guys! You took all the guess work out of this project.