1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pump reservoir removal.

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Seaway25, Nov 23, 2009.

1. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

I took out the four screws I saw on the bottom of the reservoir, but I can't get it off. I pulled on it and tapped it with a rubber mallet but it didn't budge. I want to replace the filter. Am I missing something?

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Nope, keep working on it with the rubber mallet. Theres a O-ring in there that gets a pretty good seal after a while.

3. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

I still haven't had any luck. Is it a bad idea to use a small pry bar at the top of the reservoir? It looks like it would bend it, but I'm running out of ideas. I have hit it so many times with a mallet it's starting to get dented up.

4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Use a flat head screwdriver and work your way around it, it will come off!

5. searay220

searay220 Member

I have to do the same thing this week or next. Where do get the filter for the pump? Do you need to replace the oring after the resivior comes off?
    :salute:

6. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

I got the filter as a kit at the local fisher dealer. It comes with a new o ring.

7. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

I finally got the reservoir off. It took quite a lot of prying. I bought this plow used and was curious what it would look like inside. They said the oil had been changed regularly but everyone says that. I was pleasantly surprised to find it nice and clean inside. There was a little debris, but nothing much. The filter looked fine but it was the old style so I put on a new one.
    Putting the reservoir back on was just as much of a pain as taking it off. I hit is so many times with a mallet trying to get it on that I caved in the bottom. I pounded it out a little but I was afraid to do too much. I didn't want to end up with a crack or mess up the drain plug. Either way it's back together and works perfect.

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Did you put the new style breather in?

9. searay220

searay220 Member

Seaway25 did you just change the fluid in the reservoir or drained out the hoses and pistons?

10. mikelawtown

mikelawtown Senior Member
    from Mass

I went to look at the led's at donovan spring in NH and since they had a fluid change and flush for 59 bucks i had it done, everything else looked good after i had the new breather replaced. didnt know the old one was bad..

11. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

It had fresh fluid put in it when I bough it, but I'm not sure what the brand was. It was something I didn't recognize. Wolf maybe? It was blue. Anyway, I drained the hoses, rams, and pump. Filled it with Fisher fluid, ran the pump, and then drained it all again. I wanted to use Fisher fluid so I flushed it out well.

12. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

No I only changed the pick up tube and filter. The breather is the L shaped piece that comes out and up from the side of the manifold right? I didn't realize there was a new one. Can I do that without draining the fluid? Is it worth it?

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

The breather screws in the top of the elbow you are talking about. The new one is a gray plastic piece. Take yours off and bring it to the dealer to be sure. You don't have to drain the system. It lets air in and out of the system as the fluid level change when you use the lift ram. The new breather basically allow the pressure in the reservior to hbuild up more. This reduces the amount of air - with moisture in it - coming in and out, reducing the chance of a freeze up.

14. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

Thanks. I'll check that out tomorrow. My dealer is a half hour away, but I have to go that way tomorrow anyway. Is the piece you're talking about part number 21727-2 Breather 3/8 NPT, or 21726 90 degree Street El 3/8 NPT? In the CPW catalog they are $21.36 and $5.29 respectively.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009
  15. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

New style breather is part # 21727-2. :)

16. Seaway25

Seaway25 Senior Member

Thanks. I knew it would be the more expensive one ;)

17. cubicinches

I was going to say that as well... they're pretty proud of them, for what they are anyway.

18. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Ouch! I think I paid 10 bucks or so when I bought one three years ago....

19. cubicinches

$21.00 or so around here... :eek:

20. searay220

searay220 Member

Mikelawtown: Donovan did the service for $59 ? I was going to do mine this week.I bought everything I need and then I took one look at the 4 rusted bolts and realized $59 is a good deal. Heading up there in the am.