1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pump problems

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Brant'sLawnCare, Jan 3, 2008.

1. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Hey, this year I bought a used 8' Unimount plow. I think that there is a valve in the pump that's sticking. Sometimes the plow won't raise or lower, and we have to get out and pull up on the pump, and then it starts working again. Does this problem sound familiar to anyone? I'm thinking about taking it into the dealer if no-one has any input on here.

Thanks,
    Brant

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

confused

can you be a little more specific with the problem an what you are pulling up and down on ?

3. ahoron

ahoron Senior Member
    from here

fluid level is ok? have you changed the fluid this year?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

If it wont raise how do you know it wont lower?

When it wont raise, will it still angle in BOTH directions?

5. Brant'sLawnCare

You have to pull up a few times on the part the chain connects too. I think it's called the hydraulic shaft.

No, I have not checked the fluid level. How would I do that? It looks kind of complicated. The thought of it being low crossed my mind, so that's probably a place to start.

Sometimes the plow gets stuck in the air and won't lower, and other times it gets stuck on the ground and won't raise. Now do you know what I mean? And, no, it won't angle at all, it won't work at all, but it makes pump noises.

Thanks for the replies so far, any suggestions? If you need more info, I can give it to you.

Thanks again,
    Brant

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You've got an electrical issue.....

Probably the grill connectors or poor connections on the coils at the pump. Check,clean and tighten all the connections on the plow side wiring.

7. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

X2 Mike's got this one.

When the plow won't lower, that is a bad connection.

The last storm my plow would get stuck in the up position, all I had to do was get out and bump the grill connectors and it would drop.

Get some barrery contact cleaner, spray both truck and plow side pins, then sqeezr some di-electric grease in there. Should fix your problems up.

If not, move on to the next thing, the coils. These are them:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  8. Brant'sLawnCare

Alright, thanks guys! I'm gonna work on that tomorrow and see if that fixes the problem. Philbilly2, thanks for the diagrams. I'll let you guys know how it goes.

9. gearhead

gearhead Member
    from ind.

filter might be clogged also

10. Brant'sLawnCare

Would I have to dismantle the head in order to get to the filter? Is this hard to do?

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Changing/cleaning the filter isn't a bad idea if it hasn't been done for a while.

First drain the fluid and then remove the motor (two bolts, usually takes a 3/4 wrench)

Look down in the reservoir through the motor opening and you';; see the gear pump in the bottom..the filters on the side of it.

I'd also advise cleaning out the housing as best you can while the motors off.

12. Brant'sLawnCare

I just wanted to say thanks for the help. So far we got the connectors cleaned. They definitely look a lot cleaner. We didn't do anything to the coils or the filter yet. If this doesn't fix the problem, then I will try a few of the other suggestions. I'm gonna get to test out the plow later, because we are gonna get 3-5 inches of snow! Good luck to you guys. And thanks again.

Brantxysport