1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pump problems on 79 dodge w150

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by harryhood, Nov 20, 2010.

1. harryhood

harryhood Junior Member
    from ct

I have a 79 w100 with a full hydraulic plow system. The pump body leaking hydraulic fluid when it runs. I think the leaks is around one of the areas when the mounting bolts thread into the pump. I haven't gotten it off the truck yet to see for sure.

I'm looking for options as to how to get the plowing working again.

From what searching I've done so far I'm guessing locating a replacement pump isn't going to be easy or cheap. Of course I'm open to suggestions as to where I might located a pump.

Does anyone have any suggestions for changing to a different pump? Perhaps something electric instead of belt driven?

I was also thinking about trying to weld repair the crack, but I am not sure how clean the inside of the pump would have to be for it to be 1) safe to weld and 2) effective.

Any ideas and/or feedback would be appreciated.

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Take the pump off the truck and inspect the area where it is leaking. Try to add a few picks too. Typically these old pumps are more less bullet proof. More than likely all you need is a few o rings or a hose connection. Very rarely will the pump body crack other than if it frozen solid when full of water.
  3. wva

wva Member

hey surpluscenter.com has a elec over hyd for $399 has power up and angle it's a monarch brand that the brand meyer sv2 uses they have the switches you need for it.

hope this hopes
  4. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

The pump on this setup is basically a chrysler power steering pump with a remote resovoir. Anyone who rebuilds steering pumps should be able to repair it.
  5. fireboy5722

fireboy5722 Senior Member

i run one of these systms all it is is a power steering pump. you can buy at the parts store and it comes with alll the o-rings needed and you reuse your resivor on the pump.
  6. fordsuvparts

fordsuvparts Senior Member

I just took one off a 1986 W150 with the 5.2 if you are in need of a back up.
  7. harryhood

harryhood Junior Member
    from ct

I though the mid 80's dodge trucks switched to e47 pumps. That's my plan for next year anyway when I move the the plow to my 3/4 ton.

for now I went with jb weld and it seems to be holding okay
  8. fireboy5722

fireboy5722 Senior Member

how much im interested in a back up. pm me with a number