1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pump problems. HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by fordman22, Dec 11, 2011.

1. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

im having problems getting the lift arm to go down. the plow is a 7.6 foot cable plow. and came new on a 88 ford bronco. it sat for 2 years outside and im just tired of this thing. i dont know to much about it so im sorry for the lack of information. this is my 1st year going commercial and at the rate im going at i wont be getting it done. PLEASE HELP!!!!

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Cable out of adjustment. Lift ram paking dryed out.

3. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

the pump is off. and from what i have been reading it seems that could be a the problem (the packing). the guy said when he parked the truck that it worked fine. im not sure if im not doing something right or what. thats why im on here!

4. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

what would be my best approach to get it down?

5. dieselss

Is the ram fully extended? Is it rusty and pitted? Does the wiper seal look dry rotten?

6. dieselss

When your trying to lower the ram, are u working the lower arm on the pump?

7. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

fully extended yes. rusty and pitted nothing serious. and a little. i drained all the fluid out and it was horrible.

8. dieselss

Imo any rust of pitting on ram is immediately grounds for replacement. Take nut off and pull out the ram. See what it looks like inside. Replace packing and ram. Flush out pump and clean/replace filter

9. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

ok will do. thanks a bunch!!

10. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

ok i got it fixed. since it sat 4 about 2 years and hasnt moved...the packing nut was seized up around the ram. i finally got the nut broke loose and pulled up the ram and the packing nut came up to. so i took about 5 minutes of lightly tapping on it (being careful not to hit the ram) and finally got it freed up. now its all put together and no problems! :)

11. dieselss

Nice. Did you replace the packing? And ram?

12. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

packing yes. ram no. after closely looking at it and a few phone calls. the ram is in nice shape. its nothing thats gonna do me any damage this season. but it will be replaced for next season.

13. dieselss

Ok,,,glad to read that it was a fairly easy fix.

14. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

well cant say easy but it just very time consuming and a pain! but its done and working. should hve everything up and running by tommorow and i will post some pics of the finished product when its done!

15. dieselss

Sweet Thx would love to see em

16. RAYB83

RAYB83 Junior Member

I have an older western on my 1994 jeep wrangler. w/ the angle hose looped thru the pump the plow will go up, but when I connect up the angle hoses to the pump it only will go left. no up or right. I check cables and both are center. also the plow was working OCT. 30 snowstorm but stop working about 1/2 way thru the storm. I have changed the oil in the pump w/ new oil. but didn't check the filter. Can you help? thanks

17. fordman22

fordman22 Senior Member
    from ohio

when you checked your cables did you check inside the controller and see if there is a good connection made?