1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pump Problem

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Cwlo1448, Mar 3, 2002.

1. Cwlo1448

Cwlo1448 Junior Member
    from Chicago

I have a western plow, and am having problems with the plow lifiting. Plow was working fine until it got loaded with heavy snow, and then was unable to lift. I removed the heavy snow, but it still doesn't lift properly. Plow angles fine, and motor and controls are working fine. My first check will be for ice in the pump tomorrow, but am worried that maybe the heavy load blew some hydraulic component.

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

how old is the plow motor. most likely it's the electric motor. but it could be the pump. if the plow motor is 4 years old with a lot of wear,i would replace the electric motor anyway.
  3. Mac

Mac Member

if its angles fine and the draw of the motor is the same as normal. I woud check the packings on the lift ram, but check the easy stuff first.
  4. Arctic boy

Arctic boy Junior Member

pump lifts slow

My bud has a new western uni mount still under waranty it did the same but it was a gradual thing we took it back and they replaced the filter and it works great now .I since cleaned mine on my arctic unit and am going to do it every year when i change my oil .Its a steel filter on mine i just used brake and parts cleaner and blow gun to clean it . I think your filter is under the pump so you will need a gasket .
  5. Mac

Mac Member

IMO i would never use brake cleaner, some of that stuff is real nasty. I only use #1 Kerosense on my western. The arctic dealer around here recommends kerosense.