1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pump or motor

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by concreteman, Oct 2, 2005.

1. concreteman

concreteman Junior Member

could anybody help me i have a 7'6'' uni mount that i just bought and hooked up there is a gray like oil water mix coming out from the motor and wene i go and turn the plow left in gos up insted can any body tell me if this is becuse the motor is shot or the pumpor both :help: thanks

2. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

water/oil coming from the motor is never a good sign, you can take the motor apart and hope it dries out with out causing any problems and then put it back together and hope it makes it through the season or have it rebuilt (yes, any starter repairp shop should be able to rebuild your plow motors) or replace it.

as for it the plow raising instead of turning, that could be a few things, bad connection at the grill conector, bad coil, bad valve, wrong valve. Your best place to start without spending any $$$ is to go to westerns site and download the trouble shooting mechanics guide (this is a pdf type file). It will walk you through how to check out all the possibilities.

3. Mebes

Mebes Senior Member

Gray color is probably from pump wear. (aluminum shavings in the oil)

I'd start by pulling the pump motor and draining and flushing out the reservoir area, and changing the filter.

Then drain the lines and pistons by disconnecting the hoses and manually moving the blade back and forth to remove as much fluid as you can from the pistons.
    Then refill and bleed the system, and go form there.

The good news is that the pump, and motor appear to be working.

You probably have a bad valve (or maybe some dirt in it) causing the blade to go up instead of left.

4. concreteman

concreteman Junior Member

thanks guysfor the info the guy at napa got me all set with the motor and the problem withthe plow going up i think is the for the coil that controlls the cartride i try and pull that apart and try and clean that up and put a new coil onthis week and hope for the best and thanks again