1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pump or motor is running when it shouldn't! Help

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Bossman 92, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Well yesterday we were at the shop taking plows off when I goofed up. I had a driver in the truck while I un-hooked a 9'2" boss. It is the older style (rt2, I think) and I need someone to raise the head gear while I un-hook everything. Long story short, I motioned the driver he was un hooked before I un-hooked the wireing. OOPS He backed up and the wires tightened before comming un done.

I re hooked everything back up (to make sure all was well) and now when you plug in the larger plug (13 pin I think) the pump or motor runs. (Sounds like you are trying to raise the plow when it already rasied)

A couple times I could plug it the big plug without any noises, but when I plug in the small plug (2 wires) it made noises?

I have no idea.

Does anybody know what I did?

Thanks Andrew

2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

The small connector has the big wires, supples power to the pump. ether the solenoid (stuck on) or you shorted out the control wires.

IF you do NOT connect the 13 pin connector, does the pump run when you plug in the small connector?
    If yes then a bad solenoid or wires are shorted on the truck side wire harness or controler

If the you connect the 2 pin wires and the pump does not run until you connect the 13 pin connector then you have a short in the plow side wiring.

3. Bossman 92

Thank you! Sounds like a short in the plow side wireing then. This may sound stupid, but is there an easy way to tell where the short is?

Andrew

4. theplowmeister

from MA

ohm meater

5. Bossman 92

Thanks for your help, I will post what I find tonight.

6. theplowmeister

from MA

If there is a short truck side supplying power to pin 3 (see schematic) it will give you your symptoms.

so will
    1) bad controller
    2) bad tower switch
    3) a short plow side supplying power to pin 13 (W/B wire)

7. Bossman 92

Well here's what I found. We went to the shop yesterday morning and decided to try to hook up the plow and make sure we wern't missing somthing.

The plow hooked up and worked without any problems. We did have a problem lifting the headgear to attach it to the truck though. On this (Rt 2?) you have to flip the tower switch then raise the plow from inside the cab, it acted like it wanted to try at first, then all it would do is make the same noise as if the pump was running. I flipped the switch all the way down and raised it manually. (everything worked fine)

I backed up and worked the controler without any problems. About an hour later I started the truck and the pump once again acted like it was running (just making noise, not actually moving anything). I shut it off and started it back up and everything worked fine.

I don't know if this matters or not, but about a week ago I cut the old lights off and replaced them with aftermarkets. We used the same wireing harness as the old boss lights had, and grounded each light sepertaly to the plow.

It doesn't make sense to me because everything worked fine when we were finished, but now it seems like somthing is wrong.

Thanks Andrew

8. theplowmeister

from MA

O Boy an intermittent problem :realmad:

wait you raise the tower from INSIDE the truck?

OK try wiggling the wires at various places ti see if it affects the problem.

have you traded controllers with another truck? how about trading plows to see if the problem moves with the plow?

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

A couple things....

If it has a toggle on the light tower it's RT3, not RT2; just for positive verification. And if it's attached/detached with the controller it's Smart Hitch 1. Thus the plows age is somewhere in the very late 90's early 2000's and should only have an 11 pin harness.

First thing to do is pull the pump cover and be sure there's no wires or terminals pulled out of place/bend over. Second, check for the same conditions at the under hood solenoid, including the power cables. And then look the control harness over for a signs of strain from the tugging as well. Especially where it travels though the firewall.