1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pump or air problem?

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by rancherman84, Nov 2, 2005.

1. rancherman84

rancherman84 Senior Member

got the old cable controled unit.
    last year the pump semmed weak,compared to a 98 model pump mine took a long time to raise the blade to the top of its stroke.
    drained the fluid removed the pump and disassembled it,found pump okay but also turned the relief valve in a couple of turns.
    reinstalled the pump and it seemed to be fixed,raised fast and i finished the year with no problems.
    changed the fluid this weekend and put the plow on,now its back to doing the same thing as before i turned in on the relief valve.
    is my pump just shot,or do i have other problems,air,a cable streched or somthing?
    i bought this plow used and have no idea how old it really is,if it was a commercial unit or just homeowner unit

2. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

rancherman84 I have to ask what kind of noise does the power unit make when you try and raise the plow?
    A screaching noise as soon as the chain slack is gone?
    Does try to angle?
    Also how much crud was coating the filter last year when you serviced the power unit?
    I don't know it you just drained the unit and refilled it or pulled the motor and cleaned the filter screen and flushed the unit out.
    You may also have a stuck ball in the lowering valve, you would have to pull it out to see if it is.
    It is spring loaded and is a check valve that has it's ball pushed off it's seat when the pump runs allowing the base of the lift cylinder to build pressure and lift the plow.
    A pressure gauge inline would be a big help and would tell us alot.
    I still would recheck the filter screen if you didn't pull the motor, as it sounds as it may be restricted from what you did last season and just discribed
    If you do find it covered with crud again and cleaning it gets you up and moving then be sure you drain the angle cylinders and hoses too to get all the remaining old fluid out.
    Hope this gets you looking in the right dirrection.
    :rolleyes: John...

3. rancherman84

yes it makes the scheeching sound you described,but it will lift the blade about half way then start the noise
    angles fine and the screen was not plugged at all

4. Garagekeeper

Garagekeeper Senior Member

Are you sure that the o'ring under the pump didn't move out of it's bore while you reinstalled the pump?
    This also could cause a lack of pressure problem too.
    I would just hate to see you purchase a pump that may not be needed.
    You really need to get a high pressure gauge and check pump pressure.
    Otherwise it's going to be trial and error.
    :rolleyes: John...

5. rancherman84

last year i checked the pump pressure by plugging into the top quick coupler and moved the control stick to angle right(however it says to do it in westerns trouble shooting guide)and it was in spec(barely)

6. rancherman84

finally got to recheck pump pressure,plugged gauge into top port and pulled control lever to left,got 1900-2000 psi(turned screw to far last year must be:rolleyes::nono: )
    so bottom line is pump is good but unit still whines when trying to raise blade more than half way.it will raise the blade to the top but it sure does alot of complaining to get it there.
    maybe i have a streched cable? :confused:

7. rancherman84

got this one figured out,the raise/lower cable was streched.
    now i gotta figure my buddys problem out in my no angle post:confused: