1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pump not working again

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by DAZ982500, Jan 27, 2006.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

Plowed yesterday brought it home everything was ok.Decided to go somewhere the plow was not able to raise ,angle right/left motor is working.Oil level is ok.Motor solenoid replaced 1.5 months ago.Pump is a E47 MYER. Help.Dave

2. remtech1

remtech1 Junior Member

check connections.clean plugs with crc electronic cleaner(at any part store) and apply "electronic connection jelly" ,just ask at store ,they'll know. don't forget to check ground. this happens often w/ elec/hydrolic.

3. remtech1

remtech1 Junior Member

almost forgot. was it real cold? same thing happened on 1 of my trucks last year.there was moisture in the pump and it froze up. heated it up w/ a salamander under tarps( carefull not to set truck on fire) and got it to move after it thawed , then change out fluid.hope this helps.

4. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

water in system problem solved.flushed refilled good to go.Thanks Dave

5. mike33

mike33 Senior Member

snowplower

Dont that piss you off. Typical meyer sell it and buy red, your hanging on to a dead limb.

6. remtech1

remtech1 Junior Member

this is not just a meyer problem. i run 2 fisher mm and this happened to my 8 ft. on my 99 f-350. that is why they usually suggest an anual fluid change.it deffinitly pays to do regular maintainance.

7. tjanddad

tjanddad Junior Member

Beyond popular belief, Meyer is not the only power unit out there with Freeze up problems. Besides, if the unit is serviced once a year, freeze up's rarely occur.

8. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

any hydraulic systemcan leak and draw in moisture and then you are screwed, it usually happens when slush gets stuck on the angle cylinders and bad seals suck it in.... believe it or not 5ML/ less then one quarter of an ounce of water will plug up a pump instantly, so if it is a reoccuring problem start looking at cylinder seals and your top seal

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

We pull pumps off the front of trucks and throw them in the cab under the heater to thaw. It's quick and easy and doen't require shop space or rigging heaters and tarps. Also eliminates the possibility of a $30,000 bonfire. A major source of water is the angle rams. once the wipers start to wear they suck in water every time you angle the plow.

10. rembrandt100

rembrandt100 Member

Basher you are kidding right? Please tell me you are. Somehow I cant see me out in a storm changing the pump so that I can thaw it out on the floor of the truck. If the fluids are changed at the beginning of the season you should have no problems with freezing unless you have pitted rams or bad seals. Oh and BTW it also happens with all plows that are not serviced properly. Changing the fluids should cost no more than 1 hour of your time and 10-15 $ if you do it yourself. A plow shop should not charge more than 100 to do it for you.

Compare 100 $ against standing outside, in the cold, with 2 wrenches, trying to loosen the 2 bolts, disconnect the electrical connections and hoses and then reinstall another pump with a shoveler costing 15 $ per hour doing nothing.

This is not really what you do is it ?

Dave

11. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

You will never see me doing this I want to resolve the problem at the source of the problem.I have already replaced lifting rod due to pitting.I replaced cap with new wiper seal.I have cleaned out valves .The only thing mentioned that I have not done is replace seals on rams. How will I know if/when to perform this.The angle cylanders are chrome plated and have verY very minor chips,IMO they are negliable there is no signs of fluid discharge from these areas either.I really want to salvage the entire system and are willing to go to great lengths as long as it will work.If not move on.Feed back please.Dave

12. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

wherever there is a pit it will let water in the system... little by little

13. rembrandt100

rembrandt100 Member

Maybe I misunderstood. But from the message above I understand that the pump is working, angle rams are working but the up/down is not. If this is the case you need to take a look inside the pump. I has to be a diverter to send the fluids where they need to go and this may be stuck.

If you meant that the motor is working but the blade is not operating, you are still going to have to look inside the pump.

Cheapest way to find out is to change the fluids again. If fluids are discolored it is still letting water in. When you changed the fluids before did you take the coupler off of the lower hose and move the blade manually from left to right? This needs to be done to get the fluids out of the rams and lower hoses.

Also you said that you were working the blade and it was fine. Then you parked for a while and it was not fine anymore. Perhaps while it was working the fluids were warm from being used. After it was parked for a while the water in the sys. froze. Was it cold enough for that to happen? By freezing it may not mean like an ice cube but cold enough to gel. That is what usually is the problem. It gets too thick to pass thru the filters, amasses around them then stops the flow of hydro fluid.

Dave

Sometimes I go on too long.

14. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Sure it is, I have a repair shop, we waste to much time if we let a truck take up a work bay waiting for the pump to thaw. We can complete a true repair while waiting to do belated maintenance. So when Frozen pumps come in during a storm, we pull the pump, throw it in the truck to let it thaw before it comes inside. It keeps the units together and when it comes in the door it's ready to drain, flush, drain and refill. Always with the proper manufacturer's fluid. I agree that you should service the pump long before time to push snow. But when you need to thaw a pump the truck heater does a good job. The fan blows directly on the pump, and you can set it on high with-out fear of overheating. It's also easier then setting up a heater and finding a way to prop the pump up while it thaws.

15. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 Senior Member

Rembrandt100, the description of the problem was correct except,it was not lowering. Angling was ok and up was ok.At this time I believe it has been resolved by removing "A" valve and cleaning out with carb cleaner,Thanks Nate.Should I assume that the system is ok at this point, everything is hooked up today it has been cold 18 deg everything is functioning as normal.The fuild at connections to pump is blue, does not look milky.The only other repair that could be made is replacing Ram cylanders as I indicated before there are small chips from chrome on cylanders. Would you recommed this too. Thanks a whole bunch Dave..

16. stc911

stc911 Junior Member
    from Iowa

My .02

I would think that having a back up pump ready to go would be the trick. Pull the frozen one off install the clean warm on and be done with it. Clean the culprit as time allows.

17. LordOfTheSith

LordOfTheSith Member

Had this problem with my Western. Moisture in the pump. It froze and clogged up the filter and what not...fluid looked like a strawberry drink with cream in it....change your fluid every year...helps save you from the aggravation.

LOTS

18. rembrandt100

rembrandt100 Member

If it was my truck I would change the rams also. The pits where the chrome is missing will allow water to enter the system sooner or later. When that happens you will be back where you started.

Dave

19. LordOfTheSith

LordOfTheSith Member

Good point, I have never thought to change those....thanks for the tip!

LOTS

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

If you run Western Hi-pro Fluid ( or an equivalent Low temp Hydraulic fluid) instead of ATF the unit will run faster and with less power draw.