1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pump Motor

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by emtmike, Oct 31, 2015.

1. emtmike

emtmike Member
    from Maine

I have a Fisher MM2 8’ HD straight plow. The motor that sits on top of the pump is toast. I took the long bolts out of the top, or at least attempted to, and snapped one of them off. The casing of the motor slides off easy but the rest of it won’t budge. Is the windings part of the motor something that presses down into the pump and will just need some muscle to get it off? The plate that looks like the bottom of the motor is stuck to the top of the pump. I am thinking it going to be held in there because of the busted bolt right? As well I am assuming I am going to have to drill out the bolt the snapped off and retap the hold to put a new one in. Any help would be great. Thanks.

2. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

The motor just "sits" on top of the plate. The plate is aluminum, the motor is steel...Get the picture? A couple whacks with a hammer should free it up.
    If it's the oem motor, the bolts have a sleeve around them, that's what else is holding you up. When you get it out, if you need advice on the broken bolt I can give you some, just did this on my plow.....fun, fun, fun.

3. emtmike

emtmike Member
    from Maine

I am going to need help with the bolt. It broke off almost flush. Might be 2 treads sticking up but that's it. Thanks for all your help.

4. dieselss

If there's enough thread sticking out you could try and weld a nut on it.
    You could also try drill and tap....there's where mine went bad. Tap broke, and I was done.
    So I marked the bolt holes, put the motor on, and then turned the motor a few degrees, maked the pump again, made sure all was good with clearance, then took the pump off and took to a machinist friend and he drilled and tapped. Instead of the bolts, I used all rod. Screwed it all the way in, and put the motor on, and cut it off so an inch was left outside. Stainless nut and washer and I'm good to go
    Hope it helps

5. emtmike

emtmike Member
    from Maine

So I think I had a brilliant idea. Since my last few brilliant ideas, getting married twice and then both my choices in divorce lawyers, didn’t work out so well, I thought I would ask you. What if I was to cut the remaining treads off flush with the top of the pump then drill all the way down through to old bolt and out the bottom? I could then run a long bolt right through the pump and put a nut on the end? Is there anything in the pump I would hit if I did that?

6. dieselss

Problem with that us fluid loss and pressure loss for one. Those pumps are pressurised to approx 5psi. Trying to drill it out perfectly, hard without the proper tools.
    If by some chance you drill off target and drill into an internal passage.
    Good idea in theory but IMO not the best. That's why I suggested welding or machine shop to redrill and tap both holes a few degrees apart