1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pump motor stuck on when operated

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by jprun25, Nov 30, 2014.

1. jprun25

jprun25 Junior Member
    from nh

Mm1? Fisher plow with 3 plugs to hook up on a 2000 Chevy Silverado 1500. Hooked it up the other day for first time of the season, it worked fine. Parked for 4 days and a 12 Ft snowstorm later and the plow does nothing. Did some Troubleshooting and replaced solenoid. Pump now lifts and operates, but motor gets stuck on as soon as you operate it once or twice. Even if u turn the truck off it keeps going. Its like it is trying to operate every function all at the same time. It starts to fry itself and overheat. Almost melted the plug completely before I realized what was happening...

Ground issue? if so where do I start? don't think the wiring to the solenoid is wrong because I swapped them around a little and it really only works one way. I have not fastened the solenoid to anything yet, but It does nt look like it grounds through attaching because the location of the previous one was on a plastic fender near the battery...

Any thoughts would be helpful, my wifes car can't make it out of the driveway

2. cubicinches

cubicinches PlowSite.com Addict

Check the small terminals on the relay with a test light. You should only get voltage to one of them when the controller is in the lift or either of the angle functions. If you're getting voltage to one of the small terminals continuously, then you've got a short in a harness or a controller issue. If you're not getting voltage to one of the small terminals on the relay continuously, then your new relay is junk... It happens.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Did you buy the same one, same number of terminals?

4. jprun25

jprun25 Junior Member
    from nh

Cool thanks, I will check. Where do I start looking for 'short in the harness'?

So I DO want continuous voltage at the small terminals? even when the controller is not being activated?

5. jprun25

jprun25 Junior Member
    from nh

Ya, same number and sized terminals. I just put all the wires in the same spots

6. dieselss

No, one is gnd and the other is signal positive from the controller

7. jprun25

jprun25 Junior Member
    from nh

Ok. If disconnect the solenoid and reconnect it, it resets. there is a voltage at the big terminal from the battery only at that time. None at the terminal heading to plow or the small ones. Once I operate the controller, it 'shorts out' and motor won't stop running and I need to unplug it at plow(1 of the 3 main plow connectors.). once it is 'shorted', turning off the truck doesn't help. With truck off, if I try to plug plow back in, it runs all crazy. At that point there is voltage at both big terminals and only 1 small terminal, even with truck off, (I think)

I did switch wires going to small terminals and it didn't make a difference

???

8. cubicinches

If you indeed have voltage to one small terminal when the controller isn't being operated, then that's your issue. You could try this if you have someone who can help you... Have someone run the controller so as to make the motor run continuously. Then quickly remove the small wire that is hot at the relay. If the motor doesn't stop, your relay is simply sticking and should be replaced. If removing the small wire does stop the motor, then you've got something delivering voltage to that wire when it shouldn't. IE: shorted harness or faulty controller.

9. dieselss

That's a good idea c.i. I would add that he could remove the pos cable going to the pump as well

10. jprun25

jprun25 Junior Member
    from nh

Awesome stuff. Much appreciated. One more question. On each of the big terminals, one has wire from battery and other has wire going to plow. There is a smaller wire coming from the harness that went to one of those big terminals, does it go to the terminal from the battery or the one sending out to the plow? I just set it up as it was on the previous relay...

11. dieselss

Edited.....

Last edited: Nov 30, 2014
  12. cubicinches

It goes to the one with the large cable that comes from the battery. That's your isolation module power.

13. jprun25

jprun25 Junior Member
    from nh

Even when the truck is off there is voltage leaving the relay for the plow and voltage at one of the smaller wires on the small terminal . Disconnecting the small, hot wire from the relay does not kill the motor. It would still run with neither of the small wires attached to the small terminals . One of the small wires is still hot on its own when removed from the relay. The only way that wire isn't constantly hot(with no action at the controller) is if I disconnect that wire that connects to the large terminal that C I had indicated goes to the isolation module

When I reconnect the wire that powers the isolation module, that small wire that connects to the smaller terminal, gets hot again. No action at the controller.

So does this indicate a sticking relay?

14. dieselss

When it's happening, have you tried unplugging the controller?
    If you could post up a pic of the solenoid that might be of some help.
    Fyi, unprofessional to post more then once of the same problem.

15. jprun25

jprun25 Junior Member
    from nh

Sorry, did not mean to over post my issue. Guess I just got excited when I saw another post describing the same thing as it seemed a rather random issue...

So I bought another solenoid today and dropped it in. Presto. Solenoid was junk. Worked smooth and fine with the new one.

Thanks for all the help guys, wouldn't have been able to figure it out without your help!