1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pump motor dies

Discussion in 'Blizzard Plows Discussion' started by magnatrac, Mar 5, 2008.

1. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

I was plowing this morning and my plow decied to stop working. It is a 860sw. it was new last year (dec 06). I first noticed a problem yesterday I was leaving the gas station and went to raise the plow and nothing. I went and played with the plug( usual problem) and still nothing. I switched it to the power hitch mode still nothing and after I messed with the plug again it went up. I didn't really pay attention as to if the solenoid was clicking. I got home cleaned out the plug and figured I was good. I couldn't get it to act up again untill this morning. After an hour of plowing it messed up once and then it just stopped. The solenoid was making noise I checked the plug it seemed fine. I tried jumping the hot termerminal on the motor and nothing. Next I got out my jumper cables and tried going straight from my battery to the motor still nothing. Now I was thinking it must be the motor. A few taps from a wrench on the motor while holding the power hitch on, and got it going again. It worked for another hour and then started cutting out very frequantly. I just kept plowing ,hit a bump and I was back in buisness !!! Once I finished I finally was able to use a meter to test it thie right way and sure enough the motor was getting power but not working. I called the dealer and they said they would call me back after they check to see if they have a replacement. I went to my neighbors (retired mechanic, very knowlegable) and he said the motor needed to be cleaned. We took it apart and it was a mess. Moisture had gotten it and the armature was pitted. We cleaned that up , filed the brushes back to an even shape, and put it back together. We greased all of the joints, when we put the motor back together to try and keep the moisture out. The plow is working great now and I hope I am good to go. I wanted to get a new motor so I could have a back up ready to go. My dealer called me back they have one but it is $ 383 payup I guess I was just curious if thats the going rate or a high price? I have never bought a motor for a blizzard only a western and meyer and they were alot less. If it is that much I guess i will just finish the season and have it rebuilt. I have had enough problems with my truck this year I don't want to worry about my plow now !!! I guess I am wondering what you guys have done in this situation ,rebuild or replace?
    thanks, shaun
  2. rjfetz1

rjfetz1 Senior Member
    from CT.

Worth the cost. I have learned the hard way to have a backup. Worth the piece of mind if something happens late at night or Sunday. Hard to have one rebuilt at 2:00am.:dizzy::dizzy:
  3. mine496

mine496 Junior Member

rebuild about 150 talk to rebuilder fo the spare thats what i did and got an extra form him
  4. calvinmin

calvinmin Junior Member

Last two days, I wrestled with same problem. Simply it didn't work two days ago and it worked again yesterday .... and stop working. I checked manuals and did most of trouble shootings and talked to Blizzard tech support for help but ..... Tomorrow morning, I will try tap on motors to make it work. If not, I am planning to take out for cleaning and will order another motor on line. I found following motor at eBay at $90.00, do you think this motor will work with 810 ? SPX/STONE 12V MOTOR KMD1 1787 AC
  5. calvinmin

calvinmin Junior Member

It was the problem of bad solenoid.
  6. Plowtoy

Plowtoy Senior Member

I had the motor go out on mine 2 years ago. very simular symptoms. and yes, i paid close to 350 for a new blizzard motor. Watch out for the very small screws that hold it in. they seem like it wouldnt take much to break off in the pump housing. No problems with motor since
  7. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Angelos has new motors for about $120. These a probably the light duty ones ( like original Blizzard) that have a bushing on the ends in stead of a bearing. But thats likely what you have now.
  8. magnatrac

magnatrac PlowSite.com Addict

Yup I've had one sitting on the shelf for over a year now !!! Just waiting on my original to act up again :D

, shaun