1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pump motor amp draw

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by Scott Sabin, Feb 14, 2015.

1. Scott Sabin

Scott Sabin Junior Member

Is there a way to see if pump motor is drawing to many amps , if so how many amps should it draw ? Just wondering if my motor is going bad .

2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

A amp meter.
    There rated at around 240amps@ 2k psi

3. yes my plow was drawing a lot of amps and even killed my truck...while plowing as I would raise the pump the lights and everything would dim and then it died. I checked the battery and alternator....they were fine ...that happened yesterday.. So today plowed all properties and boom...plow would not raise.

The guy said the motor was probably bad...so out $250..

No biggie. Just hope that's the issue...

4. Scott Sabin

PA Teeny let me know if that solves your problem my symptoms are same

5. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Did you put a meter on it? Did you get your batt and alt cked?

6. Scott Sabin

Checked batteries and alt .

7. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

So.........you mean you opened the hood and checked to make sure they're still there? What?

8. Scott Sabin

Load tested at local napa cleaned posts . Also cleaned and greased power cable connection

9. Scott Sabin

Local Boss dealer checked pump motor draw said it was in normal range . They didnt like that my soleniod was mounted horizontal, said boss recommend s vertical mounting . Changed that around

10. I load tested battery and alt...as they were good...it turned out to be a bad solenoid...but I still get some dim lights....going to add another battery this summer.