1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pump Makes Binding Noise

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by kasper, Jan 5, 2006.

1. kasper

kasper Junior Member

I Have A One Season Old 8 Foot Pro Plus That When You Lift It It Will Raise Slowly And Make A Binding Noise. I Have Had It Back To The Dealer 3 Times For The Problem. They Have Put A New Motor On It Plus Did Some Internal Stuff Which I Am Not Sure What. Last Nite I Put A New Pump In It Worked Fine Till This Morning Same Thing. I Have No Idea What More To Do Any Ideas Would Be Great. The Dealer Is Lost And I Have To Send A Guy Out There Which Is At Least 4 Hours Each Time.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

How does it act side to side?

3. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Could this be a fluid problem??? If it worked fine when you put the new pump in, then in the morning if acted up... assuming nothing was changed other than sitting over night...Is this an older cable type??? I so maybe the cables are out of adjustment...

4. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I was thinking old fluid or low fluid, too, but when I re-read it he implies it's one year old. It should be under warranty. If the dealer can't fix it, then it should be replaced.

5. streetsurfin'

streetsurfin' Senior Member

Did they pull any debris out of a spool valve? If so they may not have the system flushed out well. Another piece may have become lodged in a spool again. See what they did internally. If debris was found did they find the source and repair it (seal or o-ring, packing)?

6. kasper

kasper Junior Member

it acts fine side to side. it has brand new fluid in it. i have no idea about if they found anything in the valves

7. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

kasper,
    Ultramount,yes?

Does it ever make a binding noise when you go side to side?

Does it only make binding noise on lift only?

When it makes binding noise,what do you do to make it work normal again?

If the plow is up partially and makes binding noise, can you lower and retry, does it still make noise?

reply back,lets rock. PT:)

8. topher

topher Junior Member

under pressure da dadada da

Hey kasper. If you have full hydraulic angle both ways the pump motors probably not the problem. Sounds like the relief valve may need to be bumped up a bit. Another thing to consider before getting the screwdrivers out is how far the quill ( thing that adjusts how fast the blade drops ) is not in to far. I know on the older western pumps the quill restricted the fluid both ways, so if your trying to keep folks happy at 2am and have your blade dropping like a pillow ( I prefer it dropping like a rock so people know Im there at 2am) it will raise like you strapped some lead strapped on. Under those conditions the pressure relief valve will trip even if it is set at the right pressure. Your travel will stop and your pump will sound loaded down (binding sound?). Maybe you've got things fixed up already, but if not hopefully this might help. Good luck.

9. kasper

kasper Junior Member

#1 plowtech

ultramount yes

make noiseside to side no

on lift only yes

when it does make the noise i stop and try again sometimes it is fine other times same noise

the quill is set p for shake the ground like the other three

also this plow seems to lift a lot slower then the others i have, a 03 chevy with a 8 pro plus just like this one only it is 4 years old

10. #1 plowtech

#1 plowtech Senior Member

kasper

My guess at this point:

contaminated/lazy 3 way valve and or coil

i would replace valve and coil

when you raise plow the 3 way valve is the only valve that shifts to a different position. fluid passes thru the other valves without moving like the 3 way does.

the other problem could be intermittent power to the 3 way valve,no power...no raise, only motor will run and binding noise.

The catch??? when you angle plow to the left, the 2way and 3way valves are shifted. thats the reason i asked if it did not function when angled. if the 3 way valve does not work then the left should not as well.
    but you need to remember the is a machine,if the 2way valve shifts it may take a slight load off the 3 way and the angle therefore functions fine.

i wish i could see it in person! please call with any questions 847-459-6363
    thanks and good luck, PT.:)