1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pump leak

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by IHcubman, Oct 27, 2003.

1. IHcubman

IHcubman Junior Member

I have an older Fisher plow set up on my 1987 Chevy. The plow originally came off of a 1975 Chevy. Anyway, the hydraulic pump leaks. It has always leaked actually. I sent it back to Fisher once and they rebuilt it(?) which stopped the leak for one season. Is there something I can do myself to stop it? It gets everything under the hood on the driver’s side all wet.

2. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

The belt drive pumps are notorious for leaking. Not much you can do except replace the front seal. Often needs to be done on a regular basis (yearly). You might be able to go with an aftermarket pump and get better results.

I think poor mounted would sometimes lead to uneven pull on the pulley leading to front seal wear.

I actually used a power steering pump recently inplace of a Fisher. Worked the same, actually a bit faster.

3. Maine Plow Man

Maine Plow Man Junior Member

Actually there is one other thing you can do besides replace the front seal - in fact, the seal is generally not what is causing it to leak. Underneath the pump pulley, there are four bolts that hold the pump reservoir together. Due to the constant vibration under the hood, these bolts will loosen. Get a thin 9/16" wrench on them and snug all four of them up. This will likely cure the leaking problem.

4. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

That is true. I wrongly assumed that the pump was tightly assembled. This should be checked along with all mounting bolts every year.

5. IHcubman

IHcubman Junior Member

Thanks guys, I'll check it out!