1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pump issues

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by jzeller4, Jan 7, 2010.

1. jzeller4

jzeller4 Member
    from ohio

my pump was a little low on fluid, so i went to put some in and when i took the plug
    out and started filling it the fluid started to foam up and run out of the fill hole, does anyone
    know what causes the fluid to foam up ??? good timing for this sh*t to start,right in the middle of a storm, thanks for any and all input. you all be safe......

2. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

Foaming would be from air.

3. Kubota 8540

Kubota 8540 PlowSite.com Addict

Is that happening on the Meyers plow? It used to happen on my meyer all the time.

4. MeeksCo

MeeksCo Senior Member

What kind of fluid are you using?
    Is there water in the fluid?

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

If you were low on fluid to the point were you noticed it in how the plow behaved it will make from. (comes from trying to pump air) once it settles down should not happens again (until you run low on fluid again)

6. dchr

dchr Senior Member

As others have mentioned the likely cause in air in the system. I have unfortunately had this happen a couple of times when the fluid in my slushy machine (meyer E47) started to freeze. Plow wouldn't respond. Took fill plug out and before I could look had fluid bubbling out. Put a little dry gas in-let it settle down,added a little fluid and away I went to finish the storm. Drained/flushed all fluid after storm and refilled. Good until next cold snap or I stop being so cheap and buy a couple new angle rams that aren't pitted.

7. jzeller4

jzeller4 Member
    from ohio

ya its the meyer plow,i use trans fluid in my meyer, got looking at it my upper seal on the pump is leaking, so i guess its sucking air there, thanks, good ol E47 pump is being a pain in the a**

8. dchr

dchr Senior Member

Gotta love the Meyer!:rolleyes: The seal you see on top isn't actually a seal-its a wiper to clean the lift ram of any dirt-etc as it moves in and out of the resevoir. The actual seal is under the top cap-which means you have to disassmeble it to get at it. Not telling you what to do-but if your going to go through the trouble of changing the wiper and seal (along with the bushing) may as well re-seal/go through the whole thing while your at it,it's a bit*h fixing one thing then finding something else later on-(been there done that:blush2:)
    Safe and profitable season to ya!

9. topspd7

topspd7 Junior Member

Hey I have a 1987 W100 with a meyers underhood, do you have any info on that set up....I can't find anything at all...................Well I believe its a Meyers thats what I was told

10. dchr

dchr Senior Member

What kind of info are you looking for? I am fairly familiar with the underhood units-my father is VERY familiar and well versed with those-all he plowed with for 15 or so years when he started out. If you can post a pic. of the unit I can have him take a gander at it and let you know what you want to know if I can't.