1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pump housing

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by freddie deebs, Feb 19, 2011.

1. freddie deebs

freddie deebs Junior Member

problem i have an older western snowplow with cable controls , problem i have is on the bottom of the pump housing there are 2 bolts holding a plate in place to which there is a larger bolt holding it to mounts and this is leaking hydraulic fluid there appears to be no gasket only silicone under this what kind of silicone do i use for the sealing up under this

2. quigleysiding

quigleysiding PlowSite.com Addict

There is an o-ring that goes in that.. At least there was on the one I had.

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

Here a pic showing the parts and part numbers.. Red bow shows what you need.. "O" ring #25618 (#36).. I would also check the lug (#35)to make sure it not crack..

mylug.jpg

mylug.jpg

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  4. freddie deebs

mine has a homemade cover does the o-ring fit in the cover or on a shaft inside ???

5. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

item #35 is the base lug the o-ring fits in the recessed hole .if your base lug is a home made unit i would get a regular replacement .Thumbs Up

6. twinman326

could you take a picture and post it??

7. wild bill

this is as best i can do !
    :waving:

IMG_0608.JPG

8. 24v6spd

24v6spd Senior Member

I have had that O-ring fail on a couple of occasions. Does anyone know why it was designed like that? (the base lug)

9. wild bill

o-ring

i do not propose to know what was on western's mind but it might have been there to provide a fail safe weak link .kinda like a fusible link to fail when you hit some thing like stacking snow ,so you don't trash the whole housing .those baby's are not cheap ! :eek:

10. freddie deebs

there not designed to break it,s the 2 bolts that shear off when u hit something or pile snow to high.
    BTW they are 12.50 at the site i buy western parts from .

11. twinman326

I was asking Freddie to post a picture.. I already know what the part look like.........

12. freddie deebs

sorry no pic but it, a homemade job it looks like the 2 ears were broke off at one time and they welded a new square steel base to it, i took it off and replaced the 0 ring and put a silicone gasket behind there also
    i am also gonna order the right one