1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pump Heaters

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rcnease, Feb 3, 2014.

1. rcnease

rcnease Member

I have seen a pump heater for the Meyer's and Western plow pumps. It goes in to the reservoir where the fill screw would normally be. Does anyone have any experience with this and are they worth the money ($52)? I thought about getting a couple but not sure how well they work and hold up. I also have a major concern about the relief valve that normally sits on the fill screw that this heater might not have. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks very much

2. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

This year we had sub zero temps. I was using a cable control with ATF fluid and the whoel thign was under powered from a bad battery. the cold and improper fluid worked EXACTLY the same as when it warmed up and i put plow fluid in the system.

don't waste your money. Itl have 0 effect on your system.

3. JohnDeere2320

JohnDeere2320 Member

I agree with Birddseedd. Although I've never heard of a heater for snow plow fluid until your post, I imagine that plow manufacturers anticipate their plows to be used in cold temperatures and design their fluids/pumps to function without the aid of a heater.

4. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

Waste of money imo. Once the fluid warms up it will work just as fine.

5. rcnease

rcnease Member

I was mainly asking because we were out last week and it was down in the single digits with windchill below zero. I have two trucks, both used equipment that I got from a guy we used to push for, and both pumps froze up and stopped working. I found these on e-bay and thought they might help wasn't sure. The funny thing is that while I didn't fully drain the systems due to time from buying from the guy and our first storm, I had drained mine because it was really slow moving and didn't respond well so I wanted to see if it was fluid related. (It was a C solenoid), then on my other truck the ram seal blew in the storm before this last one, and it froze up also. I put the Meyer's Hydraulic Fluid back in them, and that is when I started having this problem. The guy I got it from ran some blue hydraulic fluid and we only had this problem one other time over 4 years. I know I need to fully flush the entire system on both trucks but I guess maybe it is the Meyer fluid as the problem. I just don't know. Thanks for the input.

6. birddseedd

Mine was froze today too. Iv got Michigan luberacants brand fluid. Jet plane standard.

Take your motor appart and clean it.

7. Perry.

Perry. Member

sorry i couldn't help myself :D

BS-Rubber-Hot-Water-Bottle-TM-RRBS20001-.jpg

8. rcnease

rcnease Member

that is pretty funny. I could use one of those sometimes after a plow shift.

9. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

Where are you in MD?

Did you flush the angle rams? They collect water easily

10. rcnease

rcnease Member

I live near Frederick, but I have a contract with Anne Arundel County down by Annapolis. I know I need to drain and flush the angle rams, I have never done that before, and I am a little worried about doing them right now during the season because the connector where the hoses connect are all rusted pretty good and I don't want to take a chance of breaking anything right now if I can help it. The problem at this point is this is my first year on my own (I do have 2 trucks) and the county hasn't paid me anything yet so I have pretty much tapped out my capital at this point. Once I start getting the checks from the county I think I will be less concerned and will do what needs to be done and if something ends up needing replaced I will replace it. Right now I just want to be able to respond when the county calls. We have had a pretty good year so far (especially compared to the last two years).

Are you in MD?@whiffyspark

11. birddseedd

have a local dealer that can sell you the fittings? they are only a few bucks a piece (actually ,i only have my hoses going right in. i have the new fittings. maybe thatl be my goal for tomorow

12. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Yes I live in calvert. We work in pg.

I do landscaping in Anne Arundel and pg

13. rcnease

rcnease Member

Thanks birdseedd, I am not overly concerned about the fittings themselves, I am concerned about messing the angle rams themselves up. How do you all flush your rams. I have heard a couple ways, one is with the hoses in tact and just putting on different fittings at the top of the hose and flush out the hoses at the same time, and the other way was to take the hoses off the rams and then flush them out that way? Is one way better than the other. It would seem to me you would want to flush the hoses if possible also.

14. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

Meyers hydro fluid should be blue. S and s auto is in Annapolis if you ever have problems

15. birddseedd

don't worry about the ram. you won't hurt it.

put whatever you want to flush with in and run your plow a number of times. then take hoses and fittings off, lift the plow. you can move it left and right by hand emptying the cylinders. then drain and fill.

16. birddseedd

Check with those guys. they may have their own fluid they buy in bulk and sell for half price. still air jet compliant.

if you are like me and want to "clean" the system. use kerosene. Its compatible with everything in the system including your o rings. Most people just flush with a load of plow fluid, then drain and refill with new fluid.

17. Whiffyspark

from SOMD

This is the easiest way:

Raise plow, put a jack stand under the frame and lower it back down. Compress the piston

Disconnect angle hoses and remove the end fittings

Put hoses in a container and move the plow back and forth by hand.

Replace fittings. You can drain the pump as well, not a bad idea.

Hook everything back up and refill. Raise it up, remove jack stand.

Lower and compress piston. Fill it up and then cycle it through

And bird they have star fluid I think. Same stuff different bottle. They're all the same regardless of brand.

It's like engine oil, they have a standard they have to be made to. Walmart oil is just as good as valvoline. To a point lol

18. Rusty Silence

Rusty Silence Senior Member

The way I understand it is the heaters will keep the screens from icing up if you have moisture in the system. I don't have a heater and I plowed at -13° f and if my old e47 Meyer was slower than usual I didn't notice.

19. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

Yeah, ice (which is easier solved with a tiny bit of alcohol), also, if you insist on using too heavy of a hydraulic fluid (i.e., you're a du_mba_ss.)