1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Pump freeze

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Killswitch, Dec 7, 2005.

1. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Its so bitter cold here in Michigan right now Im convinced my pump is freezing up and it doesnt want to cooperate very well till the truck runs for a while. Im going to wrap it with a large heating pad to warm it up before an event.

The truck sits out doors.

Ive got the good fluids in it and everything but its brutal cold here.

Once its running and fluid is being exchanged it worls flawless.

Anyone experience freeze up or have any tips/tricks?
  2. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

The temp is 13f here Northern MN, and the plow works fine.
    I don't notice the cold untill it gets below -20. Then it's to cold to snow any way. O.K. then your clearing drifts.lol
  3. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Its just strange. Seems sometimes it wants to get warm and maybe a jolt of extra boost from a warm battery.

Going to start giving it a light charge and a lil blankie before events and see if it likes.

4. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

Its 5 degrees here now and I dont know what the WC is and the truck sits between events so Ill activate it daily as well from now on.
  5. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I here some milk and cookes can do wonders :D lol
  6. Killswitch

Killswitch Senior Member

F'ing things. Dude I swear my plow lights wouldnt cooperate fully till I installed a set of driving lights under them on the towers as backups in a failure or for additionals.

They just started working perfectly right away.

I wonder if I need to buy it a christmas gift or hang a stocking on the wall.
  7. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

Mine was slow as hell to raise this morning, it was like 8 degrees. I think a cold battery and frigid thickened fluid has a lot to do with it.
  8. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

None of you guys are running aircraft hyd fluid? I've found it to really shine in these cold temperatures. I bought it from Angelo's a couple years ago, its a bit more expensive, but won't freeze up like ATF does.

Also, those battery blankets that you plug in, or the oilpan heaters would work well if you wrapped then around the oil resevior during the night.
  9. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I didn't know that it got below 0 in illinois....::eek: lol
    I've lived in northern Minnesota or the mountains of Colorado all of my life and the one thing thats works the best is to keep your equipment running it's best in clod weather is... good and regular maintance...:nod:
    Sure I use an aw 32 hydraulic oil It's only good down to -32 but any thing below that is just stupid cold.;) ... And it never snows when it's cold any way. I agree ATF gets thick fast when the temps drop..
    In the trucks I use 5W-30 oil and I replace the batts every other year if they need it or not. If you do this your truck will start even when it's -40
  10. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Maybe a bed time story and hang some lights in the garage?????
    Do you talk nice to her??:D
  11. Foxfire

Foxfire Senior Member

My e-60 started moving real slow, can see my lights go dim. Any Ideals ???
  12. MickiRig1

I have the "blue fluid" in my plow's system. I just think it's the shear cold that slows stuff down! Batteries hate frigid temps,reserves are really lowered. The plow fluid's are still thickened but not frozen with frigid temps.
    The more you work it the faster it gets.
  13. Scott R

Scott R Member

All this clod talk

Thought I would toss in a little cold from up here in Alsaka, heres a pic. of my t-stat in my office from a couple years ago.:D
    It does make things interesting, for sure.
    Hey, snofarmer, where you located? up the North shore? I grew up in Duluth made my way North to AK about 18 yrs ago.

-55 temp.JPG
  14. DugHD

DugHD Senior Member
    from Maine

Minus 55 , thats kinda chilly. Dont want to go outside for long.
  15. MickiRig1

When you tried to start the truck was it make this noise slowly?

Leave-me-alone, leave-me-alone, leave-me-alone
  16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Scott I sent you a pm :waving:
  17. Mowerpan

Mowerpan Senior Member

My Oldskewl western pump with regular transmission fluid works like a champ even when cold. Woo for the oldskewl:p
  18. fans

fans Junior Member

Don't make fun

I used to wrap diesel engine fuel filters with a clean (yeah, not used) disposable diaper. They're relatively cheap and available. Could try the same thing. They're insulated great and generally have a plastic coating on the outside. Used Duct or Aluminum tape to hold them on.

Another idea is to build a box or something around the pump (cardboard will work) and hang a 60 watt light bulb on an extension cord next to the pump inside the box. If you put insulation of some type in the box, it works even better - not something flammable or that will melt. You can use the light bulb trick to keep diesel fuel filters from waxing up on cold nights as well. If you're going to put a diaper on the thing, wait until whatever you're wrapping is warm.
  19. Brookside

Brookside Member

We had a problem once with our old Western elec pump. It wouldn't budge 'till I poured a kettle of hot water on it, then it was good for the day. Took the unit to the shop, they took it apart and there was moisture inside. They dried it out and I guess they got it sealed up, 'cause it never was a problem again.
  20. K2eoj

K2eoj Junior Member

I'm new posting but have lurked around a little . Great site. I've been Plowing for 20 years but we don't get much snow here in Colorado Springs so I don't do much maintenance on my plow and it freezes up. A couple of years ago I bought an ac inverter and a magnetic mount block heater. The other day it was -20 and the plow worked great.