1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

pump for plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DJs Lawncare, Nov 27, 2003.

1. DJs Lawncare

DJs Lawncare Member

HELP. I just bought a truck from a guy who said that everything worked but the plow doesn't have a pump. It is a Western PLow. However the pump is set up to be behind the seat if it was there. It was originally a Diamond V-blade and the control is an in dash control from Monarch Industrie. I think I need to either get a pump that goes behind the seat and works with what I have now or get a new pump and rewire it. I don't know what my best option is or how hard it is to do. If anybody has any ideas, I would appreciate them. The truck is an 88 Chevy 3500 Diesel.

2. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

Northern tools has the pump you need... about $520 comes with a control and all u need is to hook up the hoses...
    Casey

3. DJs Lawncare

DJs Lawncare Member

Thanks. Do you know the item number, I can't seem to find it on their website. I just did a search of snowplow and snowplow pumps.

4. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

With the truck being an 88 chevy, you should be able to mount the power unit under the hood right on the drivers side fender well. Its close to the battery, short hoses, engine to keep it warm and no chance of fluid all over the inside of the truck should something happen

5. DJs Lawncare

DJs Lawncare Member

Thanks Crash. How hard are they to install and where can I find one that goes under the hood? PLus I will probably need all the wiring.

6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

We use Monarch power units for under hood applications. There are several others such as fenner, barnes, and now i cant think... Check with a local truck equipment dealer and buy one that you can get parts for over the shelf along with service help. If you buy one you cant get parts for your in trouble should something happen.

They are not that hard to install, make sure you order the mounting bracket along with the controls when you order one. It pretty much comes down to bolting it to the top of the fender liner, running a positive and ground cable, run wires into cab an hook up controls and have 3 hoses made to lenght with some fittings.

I run a monarch 2 piece unit on my truck and havent done anything but add some fluid in about 10 years.

7. Tommy10plows

Tommy10plows Senior Member

Plow pumps

I use Monarch pumps exclusively. They are the best, and a great company to deal with too. In fact they are the oldest family business in all of the great state of Michigan. That is a testatment to quality products.

I have never and I mean never, had a Monarch belt driven pump fail me.